USB cards with front-mount plates...

Off topic chat and stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere.
His Royal Majesty King V
Veteran K6'er

USB cards with front-mount plates...

Post by His Royal Majesty King V »

All,

First off, I want to wish a hearty thank you to everyone who's put up with and answered my questions thus far. I haven't been good about mentioning it, but everyone's been a great help!

As things are, I finally did get a digital camera, a Canon PowerShot A75.

Then it hits me . . duh! If I want to transfer pictures to my computer, I'll need a USB connector.

Now my computer has two of them . . but both are occupied (1 scanner, 1 quick-cam)

But even if not for that, they are located behind the computer and thus dreadfully inconvenient.

Anyway, does anyone have a recommendation for a good, inexpensive USB card that has a front-mount plate that can fit in place of an external 5.25" drive slot? I can even live without USB 2.0 if need be. I just ask for solid, reliable, with drivers that won't let me down (assuming drivers are needed at all?)

It'll be going into one of my FIC motherboards running a K6-3 or a K6-2+. Likely the latter. It'll be running Win98lite.

I really just didn't know where to begin. I figured I'd never need extra USB ports. But I was young and foolish back then!!
:roll:
FIC PA-2103 E-O036, K6-2+ 450 2.0V @ 500 1.9V
FIC PA-2013 E-O036, K6-III 450 2.2V @ 500
Acer quasi-proprietary Mid-tower, P-II 266
Jonnywizard
K6'er

Post by Jonnywizard »

newegg has this for starters. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 906&depa=0 Plus lots more. :D
Nohr
Nohrmal

Post by Nohr »

I can recommend this Bytecc USB 2.0 PCI Card. It's inexpensive at $16 shipped and is working well in a friend's system I installed it in. No drivers were required as XP recognized it on it's own. So far no probs with a USB 2.0 scanner & external hard drive, and a USB1.1 keyboard & flash drive. It has one internal USB 2.0 port for connecting to a front panel hub, such as the Belkin one Jonny linked to.

Mind you that's just a PCI card. I'm afraid I have no experience with front panel USB hubs. Though here's a link to a cheap one I see that should work along with the Bytecc card. It might be alright, who knows..
GWC USB 2.0 Hi-Speed 4 Port Bay Hub - $17.99 + $5 shipping
His Royal Majesty King V
Veteran K6'er

Thanks . . both look interesting.

Though, I did stumble across a USB hub. And now it occurs to me "Duh, I never knew what a USB hub was before"

I might go that route instead. I think the front-bezel ports are elegant, but the hub might be more convenient for switching the device from one machine to another. Plus probably save me a few bucks.

Anyone got experience with USB hubs, good, bad or otherwise?
Wiggy
Senior K6'er

Post by Wiggy »

The only thing to watch out for is 'Powered' or 'Passive' Hubs.

Powered are more expensive but suited to more power hungry devices E.G Scanner, Printer
SOLTEK rocks!
His Royal Majesty King V
Veteran K6'er

D'oh!

Scratch the card thing . . I don't desperately need USB2.0 yet, and apparently, unbeknownst to me, my trusty old FIC boards have a USB header to plug into in addition to the two USB ports in the back.

Wiggy: got a question: for the power-hungry devices, such as my scanner, wouldn't it be a non-problem to have a non-powered hub if the device has its own power supply? I know my scanner does.

Anyhoo . . so at least now I know I'm back to front-bay headers for this thing, as I've got the board-mounted header to plug into.

If I ever need USB 2.0, then I may get a card.

Thanks again everyone.
Wiggy
Senior K6'er

Post by Wiggy »

Hmm, the last line of my post was misleading on reflection. :roll:

Devices with they're own power supply would work fine. If you had too many passive USB devices such as a mouse, keyboard, Joystick and USB memory stick all hooked up to the same hub - then a Powered hub would be needed because otherwise the hub has to share the power between all the devices from 1 USB port.

Hope thats better. :wink:
SOLTEK rocks!