New SETI@home Team Created

Off topic chat and stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Nohr
Nohrmal

New SETI@home Team Created

Post by Nohr »

This is important for our current K6Plus SETI team members. As you may or may not know, SETI@home Classic will be coming to an end on December 15th in favor of the new BOINC client. Therefore some changes to our team have to be made.

I've created a new K6Plus SETI team for BOINC (the main menu link has been updated to this). This was done for a couple reasons. We no longer had control over the old team's settings which makes it impossible to manage. Also the SETI Classic work unit stats do not apply to the new BOINC system, so everyone has to start from scratch anyhow. This makes it the perfect time for a new team to be made.

Here are the steps for current SETI@home Classic members to make the switch to BOINC and change to our new team.

1) Shutdown and uninstall your SETI Classic client(s). RIP :(
2) Transfer your Classic account to BOINC.
3) After the account transfer, continue to follow the directions to download and install the BOINC client.
4) Quit the old SETI team.
5) Join the new team.

If all went well you should now have the BOINC client installed and cracking away for the new K6Plus team! If you're not showing up on the new team stat page just yet don't worry. It appears it takes a little time to update new members. Also you have to finish some work

If anyone needs assistance with this process or just general BOINC info feel free to ask. I've only just started using this new client today myself but I'll try my best to help.
Jim
K6'er Elite

RE: New SETI@home Team Created

Post by Jim »

Having discovered the "Fallen Angels Code " 14 years ago, I have not the slightest doubt about "Extraterestial Intelligence". -- The first "Fallen Angels" who arrived here on earth, did so in a crew capsule ejected by a shot down spaceship. ---Go ahead, laugh, -- but it is true.
Superpuppy 3
K6-3+ 450 ACZ (6x100)
DFI K6BV3+/66 Rev B2 (2 Meg) w/ 2x28mm Chipset Fans
2x256 Meg PC 133 Hynix SDRAM
1x 20G Maxtor (7200)
2x 80G Maxtor (7200) Ducted w/ 2x486 Fans Mount
52/24/52/16 LG CDR/RW/DVD
8/4/3/12/24/16/32 LG Super Multi
ATI 9000 aiw Radeon AGP
SB Audigy 1 MP3 Sound
CMD 649 IDE Controller
NEC USB 2 Card
Super_Relay
Site Admin

Re: RE: New SETI@home Team Created

Post by Super_Relay »

Jim wrote:Go ahead, laugh
dont mind if i do

hahahahaha
Jim
K6'er Elite

RE: Re: RE: New SETI@home Team Created

Post by Jim »

I sent Sylvan2626 a copy of the code, how it was decoded, and the original source material. The message dates from before the Noah's Ark flood, and is embedded alphabetically within the Hebrew language. Would you like me to send you a copy, so you can really have a good laugh?

Edit : Should mention that Tazwegion has one too, though I don't think he has looked at it yet. You need word perfect to read the files I created.
Superpuppy 3
K6-3+ 450 ACZ (6x100)
1x 20G Maxtor (7200)
ATI 9000 aiw Radeon AGP
SB Audigy 1 MP3 Sound
CMD 649 IDE Controller
NEC USB 2 Card
Nohr
Nohrmal

Post by Nohr »

Well this got off topic suprisingly quick...
Jim
K6'er Elite

Post by Jim »

My apologies. Though it is related to extraterestial intelligence, which is what seti is all about. There is no doubt whatsoever that there is some other far more advanced life out there. Somebody crashed a spaceship here about 12000 years ago, survived it, enslaved local humans, taught them a number of skills to repair it, left children by them, then left.
Superpuppy 3
K6-3+ 450 ACZ (6x100)
1x 20G Maxtor (7200)
ATI 9000 aiw Radeon AGP
SB Audigy 1 MP3 Sound
CMD 649 IDE Controller
NEC USB 2 Card
Nohr
Nohrmal

Post by Nohr »

That's a bit beyond the scope of this thread which is simply to inform and assist our current SETI@home participants.
tazwegion
Veteran K6'er

Alien conspiracy theory & SETI...

Post by tazwegion »

Jim wrote:Edit : Should mention that Tazwegion has one too, though I don't think he has looked at it yet. You need word perfect to read the files I created.
Actually... I though I'd lost it on that 'damnable' Fujitsu HDD, luckily I found backups for everything on an old 2Gb drive in the gaming rig (how it got there I don't recall :p)... anyways the long & short of it, d'you think my Linux version of Openoffice will allow me to have a look @ the word perfect format?

EDIT: for any whom are curious... the OpenOffice.org word processor does indeed support Word Perfect format documents... Go Linux w00t w00t! :banana

Thanks for the BOINC SETI 'semi-guide' Nohr, hopefully my K62's will again rise to the occasion :twisted:
Yahuli
Newbie K6'er

Re: New SETI@home Team Created

Post by Yahuli »

[quote="Nohr"]This is important for our current K6Plus SETI team members. As you may or may not know, SETI@home Classic will be coming to an end on December 15th in favor of the new BOINC client. Therefore some changes to our team have to be made.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kewl- especially since I'd forgotten my old password/email address that I was registered under a while back so couldn't join in the fun after a bit. Now, I can do it again, plus earlier this year I'd created a new account and used BOINC during it's active period. The new client is far better, as it makes use of various processor optimizations, thus making calculations much faster.

Who needs the fancy graphics anyway for something such as this? If you do, make sure to leave the screensaver turned on.

Thanks for the info, Nohr!
Yahuli
Newbie K6'er

Post by Yahuli »

Jim wrote:My apologies. Though it is related to extraterestial intelligence, which is what seti is all about. There is no doubt whatsoever that there is some other far more advanced life out there. Somebody crashed a spaceship here about 12000 years ago, survived it, enslaved local humans, taught them a number of skills to repair it, left children by them, then left.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Jim,

I find such info fascinating. Please email further info on to me if it isn't too much trouble. I'm not laughing; I like keeping an open mind.

Can send to yahuli at gmail dot com

Also, if anyone is interested in a 2gig gmail account please let me know- I have oodles of free ones to give away. Just shoot me an email. Thanks!

Sorry for going off topic. We all skew off onto another tangent from time to time.