Stopping in to say hi!

Off topic chat and stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere.
His Royal Majesty King V
Veteran K6'er

Stopping in to say hi!

Post by His Royal Majesty King V »

Hey all!

Just wanted to drop in after a long absence for a brief hello and update.

In case you all were wondering (Jim knows a little of it), I'm in the midst of a move.

Well, a bit of background:

After a long period of unemployment, and working in an Auto Parts store for a while for some desperately needed cash, I got a job back in software development again.

As I was thus working, and the missus has the definitely steady job, we found an area nearby with new construction, realized how much the value of our current place had gone up, and decided to move.

3 days after we leave the deposit for the new house, I get laid off. Ugh! We decide to proceed with the move anyway because I figure that our monthly payments will still be less, but we'll have a larger, brand new house. Gotta love the bizarre behavior of the real-estate market!

Anyway, so, we sell the old place, and about a month before the move, I get a job (contract, though). Pays well, but, it's a bit over an hour drive each way.

Still, I go for it. It beats unemployment.

Well, as these things go, our old house got sold quick, the new one had some delays in construction, so since Sept 30th, I'm in an apartment. Current commute to work is 1 hour, 30 minutes. Had I still been working at my old job, the commute would've been about a half-hour or so.

As you might imagine, between getting a mortgage, homeowners insurance, working full day, and spending 3 hours each day commuting, well, my spare time has more or less become a distant memory!

Anyway, the official completion date has changed around 2 or 3 times already, but it looks like the end of December's when I move to the new house.

The Good: The house will be MUCH more pleasant to live in than the apartment, and I'll no longer have 90% of my life in a Storage Unit.

The Bad: It will add another 15 minutes to my commute.

I'm hoping I can work from home on a regular basis when that happens.

So, I just wanted to stop in, and let everyone know that I hadn't been kidnapped by aliens, nor died horribly in a butter-churning accident.

And for those wondering: My K6-2+ system is still my primary computer!
FIC PA-2103 E-O036, K6-2+ 450 2.0V @ 500 1.9V
FIC PA-2013 E-O036, K6-III 450 2.2V @ 500
Acer quasi-proprietary Mid-tower, P-II 266
Jim
K6'er Elite

Post by Jim »

Hey King; good too see you still think of us once in a while. Was beginning to think you had fallen off the edge of the world. You should see the most recent results I am getting w/ Superpuppy 2. Pretty hot stuff.
Superpuppy 3
K6-3+ 450 ACZ (6x100)
DFI K6BV3+/66 Rev B2 (2 Meg) w/ 2x28mm Chipset Fans
2x256 Meg PC 133 Hynix SDRAM
1x 20G Maxtor (7200)
2x 80G Maxtor (7200) Ducted w/ 2x486 Fans Mount
52/24/52/16 LG CDR/RW/DVD
8/4/3/12/24/16/32 LG Super Multi
ATI 9000 aiw Radeon AGP
SB Audigy 1 MP3 Sound
CMD 649 IDE Controller
NEC USB 2 Card
tazwegion
Veteran K6'er

Post by tazwegion »

Great to hear you're still about King... good luck with that work-from-home scenerio deal ;)
His Royal Majesty King V
Veteran K6'er

Post by His Royal Majesty King V »

Just a quick update....

Moved into the new place... yay!

Nobody told the construction and cleanup crew that we were moving in that day.... lots of muddy carpets, sawdust, etc. Eeew!

But they'll be cleaning that up come Friday.

Work from home thing didn't work out. I got a job offer from a place closer to home, but told my manager that if the company could work out something for me to work from home most of the time, and say be on site only a day or two on average per week, that I'd stay with them. He really pushed for it, but the higher-ups would have none of it. Bummer, particularly since they already *do* have some remote workers in the company. Anyhoo, I have that other job already, and am going to start it this coming Monday, but I'd've preferred staying at my current job.

No internet access yet, apparently the construction crew didn't watch carefully where they're digging, and ran over the phone and cable boxes near the street.... not to mention accidentally cutting cable to 4 houses. Oops! The cable guy estimates unfortunately that we're looking at at least 10 days to fix (because, even though the construction crew didn't do it, the cable company has to get in touch with the township to get permission to dig where they want to dig, so they don't accidentally damage anything).

Ah, the trials and tribulations of moving....
FIC PA-2103 E-O036, K6-2+ 450 2.0V @ 500 1.9V
FIC PA-2013 E-O036, K6-III 450 2.2V @ 500
Acer quasi-proprietary Mid-tower, P-II 266
tazwegion
Veteran K6'er

Post by tazwegion »

And of changing employers... ;)