End of an Era - Upgrade bug bites bad...

Off topic chat and stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere.
tazwegion
Veteran K6'er

End of an Era - Upgrade bug bites bad...

Post by tazwegion »

Well, a time comes in all technologies' life when it's sent off to greener pastures... so it should be no shock that I'm parting with a majority of my SS7 & retro collection (courtesy of Flea-bay), I will retain the VA-502 Linux firewall (MII powered) and perhaps the MVP3C2 & K62-550 but everything else is going ;)

Even my preloved KT-133A Soltek (Durons have aready left the building) is departing as I attempt to scrape together enough cash to become a 64bit enthusiast, I will naturally drop in from time to time... but alas it will be less frequent, so I guess I'll see ya's when I see ya's :)

Thanks all, the K6plus experience has been great! :D
Jim
K6'er Elite

RE: End of an Era - Upgrade bug bites bad...

Post by Jim »

Sorry to hear that. I suppose I can sort of half understand it; but one wonders what you need more than your collection of Socket A machines for? Are you into heavy gaming? Me, I am not; and my K6+s more than fill my needs. I very much doubt if I will ever upgrade beyond Super 7s, or Windows XP Pro. For my purposes they work just fine; and it would be a waste of money to get something newer.
Superpuppy 3
K6-3+ 450 ACZ (6x100)
DFI K6BV3+/66 Rev B2 (2 Meg) w/ 2x28mm Chipset Fans
2x256 Meg PC 133 Hynix SDRAM
1x 20G Maxtor (7200)
2x 80G Maxtor (7200) Ducted w/ 2x486 Fans Mount
52/24/52/16 LG CDR/RW/DVD
8/4/3/12/24/16/32 LG Super Multi
ATI 9000 aiw Radeon AGP
SB Audigy 1 MP3 Sound
CMD 649 IDE Controller
NEC USB 2 Card
tazwegion
Veteran K6'er

RE: End of an Era - Upgrade bug bites bad...

Post by tazwegion »

Well the EPOX/550 will retain the retro gaming title, but unfortunately Windows will stop supporting 2K, ME & XP in the forseeable future (much as they've done with 3.1/95/98 ) as they move onto 64Bit OS's :(

Heavy gaming? not really... primarily RTS is my bag, but 64Bit processing has an irresistable appeal and why go s754 when s939 if so affordable, I mean I can almost make my money back on my top end s462 components (with the exception of RAM & GFX card), and seeing as I have no desire for PCI-E GFX systems nForce3 250 seems like a positive step forward ;)

That K63-550+ someone kindly informed me of on Aussie eBay, went for over $90.00... that's as much as some mid-level Athlons, and while it's an awesome processor, the age of the components (required to run with it) and the bang for buck factor really come to the fore in comparison ;)