New HDD = windows 98se probs. I'm stumped!

Discussion relating to Socket 7 hardware.
Wiggy
Senior K6'er

New HDD = windows 98se probs. I'm stumped!

Post by Wiggy »

I've just bought myself a 40gig Maxtor Fireball 3 to go in my p5a-b w/ k6-2+.

I partioned, formatted and then re-installed windows. Everything was going peachey UNTILL I tried to shutdown windows. All the damn thing kept doing was rebooting. Also in general it's just not running right compared with my old 3 gigga, if ya know what I mean??

I've got the latest (I think?) Ali HD controller ver 193 installed, the latest BIOS and the windows shutdown patch installed. I've tried turning DMA mode off/on in the sys properties and manually setting the DMA/PIO mode in the BIOS with no success.

Please PLEASE if anyones got any ideas - please give me a shout!

Oh BTW - this prob started from the fresh install of 98
jonwest 01
K6'er

Hummmm..this may be an ACPI thing...

Post by jonwest 01 »

...are you using the board in an AT case with ACPI enabled? I remember that this can be troublesome resulting in the exact symptoms that you describe.
Wiggy
Senior K6'er

Post by Wiggy »

It is in an AT case *sigh*.

ACPI is the power management?? If so I've turned all that off.

It's beginning to make me want to 'reboot' it out the window. Ho Ho Ho.
herm
Newbie K6'er

Re: New HDD = windows 98se probs. I'm stumped!

Post by herm »

Wiggy wrote:I've just bought myself a 40gig Maxtor Fireball 3 to go in my p5a-b w/ k6-2+.

I partioned, formatted and then re-installed windows. Everything was going peachey UNTILL I tried to shutdown windows. All the damn thing kept doing was rebooting.
Hi,

Just in case, can you run msconfig (in C:\Windows\System), hit the Advanced options from the 1st screen bottom, and see if you still have a line noted "Disactivate fast shutdown" ?

You can try a check here to begin...

Then, about Windows98SE, I know of this patch and this one (Oops, they've removed the second one... sad).

If you re-install Win98SE, you may enable ACPI in bios, and do the install typing 'install /pj' : Win 98 will be forced to use ACPI, as it's another way of dealing with the power managment, it may (or not...) help.

Herm
grahamv
Senior K6'er

Hey! You just solved my problem as well.

Post by grahamv »

I upgraded to ADSL a few weeks ago - using a DSL USB modem. Since then I've had unpredictable results on shutdown and restart of 98SE - e.g. shutdown gives an attempted restart without actually doing a shutdown, so that it just starts trying to reload everything that's already running, then it seems to stutter and hang.

The first MS patch fixed it a treat.

Thanks.
Wiggy
Senior K6'er

Re: New HDD = windows 98se probs. I'm stumped!

Post by Wiggy »

herm wrote:
Wiggy wrote:I've just bought myself a 40gig Maxtor Fireball 3 to go in my p5a-b w/ k6-2+.

I partioned, formatted and then re-installed windows. Everything was going peachey UNTILL I tried to shutdown windows. All the damn thing kept doing was rebooting.
Hi,

Just in case, can you run msconfig (in C:\Windows\System), hit the Advanced options from the 1st screen bottom, and see if you still have a line noted "Disactivate fast shutdown" ?

You can try a check here to begin...

Then, about Windows98SE, I know of this patch and this one (Oops, they've removed the second one... sad).

If you re-install Win98SE, you may enable ACPI in bios, and do the install typing 'install /pj' : Win 98 will be forced to use ACPI, as it's another way of dealing with the power managment, it may (or not...) help.

Herm
I've tried the patches and the fast shutdown trick BUT I've not tried the /pj switch. I think that may do the trick.
After much fannying around I've found that after a completely fresh install of 98se on my new HDD - it's keeps rebooting
However, a fresh install on my 3.2 Gig works perfectly. So I can only conclude that it is indeed the power management not working right with the new HDD.

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a whirl.
Wiggy
Senior K6'er

Re: Hey! You just solved my problem as well.

Post by Wiggy »

grahamv wrote:I upgraded to ADSL a few weeks ago - using a DSL USB modem. Since then I've had unpredictable results on shutdown and restart of 98SE - e.g. shutdown gives an attempted restart without actually doing a shutdown, so that it just starts trying to reload everything that's already running, then it seems to stutter and hang.

The first MS patch fixed it a treat.

Thanks.
Oddly enough, so I upgraded a few weeks ago as well, I don't think it's related to my probs - beats the hell out of 56k, for sure!!
Wiggy
Senior K6'er

Post by Wiggy »

YES YES!!!

I have finally solved this really really annoying problem.

I re-formatted and re-installed 98SE with the /p i switch. This forces windows NOT to use the ACPI power management.

Everything is now sweet and I can sleep at night (Boy, I'm so sad).

A big thanks to Herm. Without suggesting the /p j switch, I would never have thought of trying the /p i switch.
His Royal Majesty King V
Veteran K6'er

Post by His Royal Majesty King V »

Well, let me be the first to offer a very belated congratulations.

Glad it turned out to be a relatively simple problem . . . well, aside from going bonkers trying to find what was wrong! :?
FIC PA-2103 E-O036, K6-2+ 450 2.0V @ 500 1.9V
FIC PA-2013 E-O036, K6-III 450 2.2V @ 500
Acer quasi-proprietary Mid-tower, P-II 266