Gigabyte GA-5AA rev 3.2 and K6-2+ problem

Discussion relating to Socket 7 hardware.
Sandells
K6'er

Gigabyte GA-5AA rev 3.2 and K6-2+ problem

Post by Sandells »

Hi K6'ers,

I recently bought a Gigabyte GA-5AA rev 3.2 off ebay uk to put the K6-2+ 450MHz CPU I won off the K6plus website to use as a DVD player for the lounge.

When my Brother built the PC, the motherboard came with the 1.3 BIOS installed. The CPU was detected as an "AMD Unknown CPU 450Mhz" and was slow at booting. So I updated the BIOS to F7B, since I have a 40GB Hard Disk in it, and now the BIOS reconizes the CPU as an "AMD K6-2+ CPU 428MHz". I cannot enable the internal and external caches in the BIOS, because if I do the PC will reboot before displaying the summary screen. If I leave the caches disabled, the PC will boot but is slower than a 486 CPU. Is the problem with the CPU or BIOS? I remember seeing a Gary who posted in the AMDZone K6-x forum, successfully running a K6-III+ at 550MHz in the same motherboard as I have purchased.

Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Thanks,

Steve
Super_Relay
Site Admin

Post by Super_Relay »

i have one of these boards and used the f6 bios with it and never had any problem. i have never tried the f7b one

mabey thats worth a try going with the f6.

even if it wont support the full size of your hard disk (i know it works with 20gigs and most likely will work with up to 32 gigs)

theres probably a jumper on the back of the drive somewhere to limit it to 32 gigs and if not it will probably just see the drive as whatever the largest size it can work with is and format it to that size

and you can always get the space back with a driver overlay program reguardless of what the bios allows for.

ok its early in the morning here (the illegal part of the morning between 4am and 11am) and im rambling so im not sure if this has helped any.

ok have fun
Super Relay
Sandells
K6'er

Post by Sandells »

Hi SR,

Just tried the F6 bios for kicks, but the problem still remains. The PC will only boot with the internal and external caches disabled in the BIOS.

BTW. What are your GA-5AA's jumper settings?. I cannot find J16 on this motherboard.

Steve
Super_Relay
Site Admin

Post by Super_Relay »

ok i was playing with it yesterday and i found j16 (after some searching through the manual )

it was actually one that i have used a lot but was poorly labled.

anyway my board is very differently layed out to yours due to the size change (mine is about 10inches by 10 inches) and on mine jp 16 is not far from jp1, jp2 and jp14 about where your cpu socket is by the looks of it

in the circle on this picture

sorry about the size, its the best google had to offer

on yours i would guess it would be here

i hope that helps some
Sandells
K6'er

Post by Sandells »

Hey SR,

I have the 10 inch by 10 inch board too, and 3 GA-5AX's too. I downloaded the manual for the GA-5AA rev 3.2 but my brother couldn't see JP16 on the GA-5AA.

I swapped out the K6-2+ for a K6-III+ and the GA-5AA boots with both Internal or External caches enable now, but still at 428MHz. So looks like theres a problem with the K6-2+.

Steve