battery operated 80mm fan....

Discussion relating to Socket 7 hardware.
fireburns
Junior K6'er

battery operated 80mm fan....

Post by fireburns »

All,

I have need for an 80mm fan that is battery operated. I'm not sure such an item exists, but figured the more people checking the better.

I'm not an electronics wiz, but I assume a standard 80mm fan could be converted to run off a 9v or a couple AA batteries given the right configuration.

Anybody know of a vendor selling such a fan or have a plan with how to go about such a conversion?

Thanks,

-fire
punkrawker82
Senior K6'er

Post by punkrawker82 »

Maybe you could try a RadioShack...

I think I've seen those compartments that hold batteries sold at a RadioShack before. Just take an 80mm fan and strip the wires. Then get 4xAA Batteries and a battery thingy that holds 4xAA batteries, and connect the wires to that. I think AA's are 3.3v, but I'm not sure...So you'd need 3 or 4 batteries for a 12v fan?? Also I've never tried this, so I have no clue if it would actually work. But it sounds like it would.

The only fan mod I've ever done involved a (regular->floppy) power connector which I used with an 80mm fan, and just electrical taped the wires together...It worked great straight from my PSU, and added an extra system fan. :D
Past System
----------
Asus P5A-B rev1.05(Beta BIOS 1011.005)
AMD K6-2/CXT AFX @ 500Mhz(CPUCool 5 x 100)
128Mb PC100 SDRAM
VisionTek GeForce 4 MX 440 4x AGP @2x w/ 64Mb DDR
Creative Ensoniq PCI Sound Card
ADS Turbo Quad 4 Port USB PCI Card
Linksys NC100 v2 NIC
Western Digital 8Mb Cache SE 80Gb HD
Lite-On 52x32x52 CDR/RW
Lite-On 16x48 DVD

Current
----------
Athlon XP-A(Barton) 2600+ @ 1.91Ghz
Abit NF7-S v2.0
512Mb Kingston 3200 DDR(2.5-3-3-7)
VisionTek GeForce 4 MX 440 4x AGP w/ 64Mb DDR
fireburns
Junior K6'er

Voltages...

Post by fireburns »

punkrawker82,

Thanks for the reply.

I considered the same thing, but thus far have not been able to find a container. If you happen to find a link in your travels, please post it for me.

AA batteries are actually 1.5v each...so I guess the question is what happens when you run a 12v fan at 6v? I'd assume lower (1/2?) rpms, but maybe that's an incorrect assumption.

Also, I can't seem to remember if the batteries need to be hooked up in parallel or serial configuration in order to achieve even 6v. I guess it would be helpful to know how to configure a unit for parallel or serial configuration to begin with.

I'll keep researching...
Super_Relay
Site Admin

Post by Super_Relay »

with batteries when you hook them up in series they add their voltages and when you hook them up in parallel they add the amount of current (amps) that they can deliver.

the thing about AAs is that they dont hold much power and so they are going to go flat pretty quickly when hooked up to a 80mm fan.

mabey a 6v lantern battery

http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp? ... 000&Page=1

would be better you can get rechargeable ones of these too. Or a sealed lead acid battery (this would be best but they are kinda expensive)

http://www.radioshack.com/search.asp?fi ... acid&SRC=1
fireburns
Junior K6'er

Thanks!

Post by fireburns »

Relay,

Thanks for the info. I guess I should have clarified my needs.

The fan iteself is not actually for PC use, but rather to replace a fan unit for an inflatable costume (such as the one found here). So, carrying around a bulky battery wasn't really an option.

They come with a 6v DC 80mm fan, which I was having a hard time finding. I ended up going with this: Breeze Maxx

I should be able to extend the wires to make a belt pack for the batteries, if need be....Thanks again for the info.

-fire