Geforce FX series memory conflicts on SS7 MBoards?

Discussion relating to Socket 7 hardware.
Sandells
K6'er

Geforce FX series memory conflicts on SS7 MBoards?

Post by Sandells »

Hey K6'ers,

Having recently won a Geforce FX 5700Ultra for £58 on ebay, I thought I would give it a try in my EPoX MVP3G5 with a K6-III+ 450MHz. The system booted fine with it in, but when it came to installing the video driver in 98se and XP Pro, it would install ok but be stuck in 4-bit colour due to memory conflicts with the 5700U, the ACPI controller and the Silicon Image ATA133 controller card.

Is there anyway to solve the memory conflicts?

Thanks,

Steve
punkrawker82
Senior K6'er

Post by punkrawker82 »

You could try to manually set the memory ranges for the conflicting cards... I've never done this, but it is possible. There was someone else on K6plus that had a similar problem and fixed it that way, but I don't remember who that was...
Past System
----------
Asus P5A-B rev1.05(Beta BIOS 1011.005)
AMD K6-2/CXT AFX @ 500Mhz(CPUCool 5 x 100)
128Mb PC100 SDRAM
VisionTek GeForce 4 MX 440 4x AGP @2x w/ 64Mb DDR
Creative Ensoniq PCI Sound Card
ADS Turbo Quad 4 Port USB PCI Card
Linksys NC100 v2 NIC
Western Digital 8Mb Cache SE 80Gb HD
Lite-On 52x32x52 CDR/RW
Lite-On 16x48 DVD

Current
----------
Athlon XP-A(Barton) 2600+ @ 1.91Ghz
Abit NF7-S v2.0
512Mb Kingston 3200 DDR(2.5-3-3-7)
VisionTek GeForce 4 MX 440 4x AGP w/ 64Mb DDR
ricgf@hotmail.com

Post by ricgf@hotmail.com »

Install your OS without ACPI
setup /pi in Windows98 or ME

If your motherboard have Via Chipset you will also install need VIA Latency patch, search on the internet.
ricgf@hotmail.com

You also need install the VIA4in1 pack.

look in your motherboard site, download section.
Jim
K6'er Elite

Post by Jim »

Beg Pardon, off topic, - But Ricgf, could you please tell me what the "Via Latency Patch" is ? I use several mobos with Via chipsets and I have never heard of it. Would be very grateful if you could explain it in such a way that I can figure out if I need it. --- Thanks.

Post by Guest »

look here ...

good stuff to tune your via mvp3 system

http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/

Jim wrote:Beg Pardon, off topic, - But Ricgf, could you please tell me what the "Via Latency Patch" is ? I use several mobos with Via chipsets and I have never heard of it. Would be very grateful if you could explain it in such a way that I can figure out if I need it. --- Thanks.
ricgf@hotmail.com

Via4in1 is a service pack maded by the motherboard reseller(fic, soyo, etc) this patch install ide bus mastering files(not necessary) agp(driver) and irq routing driver. The via 4in1 pack is only for via based mobos. Search in the mohterboard site download section. Is totaly necessary install this file. I also recomend you install the pci latency patch from george breese. This file correct the problem of sound crackling in via SS7 mobos like va-503+.
ricgf@hoitmail.com

Post by ricgf@hoitmail.com »

yeah
http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/

you can download via latency patch in this place.

This file resolv the problem of sound cracling when you play a game with 3d enviroment, or open windows media player to hear a music. Try run a demo of 3dmark2001, install the patch, and run again. The sound craclikng will be disapear!! This patch is magic! Totaly recomended ! But is only for SS7 Via based mobos ok. If you can include in the download section.
Jim
K6'er Elite

Post by Jim »

Can Definitely use the sound patch, I've been tuning my sound to get rid of the crackling. Still not clear exactly what the "Via Latency Patch" is. If it is the "4in1 448" drivers, then I am using them. If it is something else above and beyond that that I should have, please clarify. Thanks

Post by Guest »

hi jim

the latency patcch is NOT in the 4in1 driver... (like ide miniport driver)

it reduces the pci latency to avoid bufferunderruns in cards (like in soundcards) or more evil even in the ide bridge -> data corruption

for me (socket 7) was the solution the ide minportdriver and the latncy patch.
Jim wrote:Can Definitely use the sound patch, I've been tuning my sound to get rid of the crackling. Still not clear exactly what the "Via Latency Patch" is. If it is the "4in1 448" drivers, then I am using them. If it is something else above and beyond that that I should have, please clarify. Thanks
DasMan2

Post by DasMan2 »

This is a new one I have never heard of before.

Via PCI Latency patch . Learning all the time . :)
Jim
K6'er Elite

Post by Jim »

Went to Mr Breese's site and downloaded a whole bunch of stuff. Got Via latency patch, Via Soundblaster patch, Via Memory Interleave Patch, Via MVP PCRS, (Not sure what that one is or does), and finally Wpcr_PCI configuration editor. (Suspect that one is over my head.)

Thank you very much Ricgf. Much appreciated. At the very least will be able to use the memory interleave patch, and the soundblaster patch. Hopefully also the latency patch. Thanks again, never heard of this stuff till you mentioned it, and suspect that there are many others here who could use it too.
georgep1
Veteran K6'er

Post by georgep1 »

George's site has been on the "Web Links" page for a long time now. But that links page probably doesn't get visited much.
E-Machines T6000 (AMD64 3200+) (Don't laugh! It absolutely rocks!)
GigaByte K7N400 Pro2, 3200+, 1 GB DDR, 80 GB WD SE
Epox MVPG5, K6-III+@550, 384 SDRAM, 80 GB WD SE
TX97-XE, K6-III+@400, 256 SDRAM, 40 GB WD HD
Jim
K6'er Elite

Post by Jim »

George, do you know what Via MVP PCRS is or does ? And same regards Wpce PCI Configuration Editor ?
georgep1
Veteran K6'er

Post by georgep1 »

Jim wrote:George, do you know what Via MVP PCRS is or does ? And same regards Wpce PCI Configuration Editor ?
They are files you load in WPCredit that changes some of the capabilities of the system. WPCredit and these pcr files deal with the hardware optimizations that are normally done in BIOS, but may not be available in a lot of BIOS's because the motherboard manufacturers don't want people fooling with them. WPCredit was used by a lot of people to enable 4 bank interleave on MVP3 mobos whose BIOS didn't have that option. There are numerous other settings to tweak as well, but one has to be careful as you can hard lock a system or damage some of the components. I never used WPCredit much as my Epox had most performance BIOS options, but some of the "old timers" at this site and amdzone forums did a lot of tweaking with it.
E-Machines T6000 (AMD64 3200+) (Don't laugh! It absolutely rocks!)
GigaByte K7N400 Pro2, 3200+, 1 GB DDR, 80 GB WD SE
Epox MVPG5, K6-III+@550, 384 SDRAM, 80 GB WD SE
TX97-XE, K6-III+@400, 256 SDRAM, 40 GB WD HD