AMD K6-2+ 550 doesn't like my HOT-591P

Discussion relating to Socket 7 hardware.
Shaihulud
Junior K6'er

AMD K6-2+ 550 doesn't like my HOT-591P

Post by Shaihulud »

Hi,

just got an AMD K6-2+ 550 via EBay and upgraded my HOT-591P with it. For the Mainboard I used a patched BIOS from the unofficial K6-2+ site, named 591PJIQH.

The system:

HOT-591P (not overclocked, multi is 5.5, about the vcore I'm not sure, cpu says 2.0V, websites say 2.1V may be better, not sure if I should set jumpers on AUTO, or 2.0V, or 2.1V?) :?:
Windows XP Pro Service Pack 1 - it tells me its an AMD K6-III :?:
2x 128MB PC100
ATI Rage Pro 32MB AGP
WD 8.4GB 5400rpm

The symptoms:

In 1 out of 5, PC refuses to boot

Windows XP loads normally

Graphical errors in Windows XP

In CPU-Z 1.37: FSB jumps up and down, 100.4, down to 10MHz, up and down, up and down (but maybe its when the computer is doing something while refreshing the FSB, AMD K6-2+ might not be enough for Windows XP?!? :?:

Can't do benchmarking with Sisoft Sandra anymore, I have to switch off 3DNow benchmarking, why? :?: I wanna know the figures, if its really better than the former AMD K6-2 550...

If anybody can help, or had the same problems...

Thx!!!

(I'm german, trying my best to tell you in english...)
sylvan2626
Senior K6'er

Post by sylvan2626 »

For the core voltage, I would start with 2.0 jumper setting, multiplier of 5.5, anf FSB of 100MHz. The goal is to get your system stable, then try overclocking if you wish. See http://66.218.71.231/language/translati ... nfiguratio

That BIOS file has a text file in it -- were there any words of caution? Jan is pretty good a BIOS fixes. Does the BIOS correctly recognize the CPU?

Windows XP Pro Service Pack 1 - it tells me its an AMD K6-III -----
This is from Windows system information? If so, not a problem.

In 1 out of 5, PC refuses to boot -------
What is happening here - does the PC give a POST code or fail before starting POST? Any fans or drives spin or lights come on? Are you looking inside the computer case as it boots up for fans not starting (like the CPU fan)?

The K6-2+ will handle WinXP, but your amount of RAM is a little light. XP and W2kPRO like a lot of RAM. Have you checked Device Manager for errors?

You probably already checked these items, but I'll ask anyway:
1. Did you run Memtest or Prime95 or CPUBurn?
2. Try removing your RAM modules and reseating them. A loose module can stop the the PC from even starting the POST or can trigger a POST error code. If the RAM socket pins and the RAM module pins are made from different metals they can oxidize over time.
3. Be sure that your video card is firmly seated and not overclocked. The video distortion could be a loose card or an overclocked card. Lose connection can stop the POST.
4. Double-check your BIOS options selected.
5. Double-check your motherboard jumpers.
6. Check the 3.3V regulator -- some of these boards were reported as having weak regulators. http://66.218.71.231/language/translati ... mpatiblebo
7. Did you load your motherboard drivers (VIA drivers)?

I'm running W2kPro on a system built around a K6-2+ 550 and it runs just fine (WinXP manages resources better than W2K).
EP-MVP3G2 Rev 1.0 (8/6/01 BIOS) -- K6-2+ 550ACZ @ 618MHz (103MHz FSB) 640MB PC100

EP-MVP3G5 Rev1.4 (8/6/01 BIOS) -- K6III+ 500ANZ @ various MHz
Stedman5040
Veteran K6'er

Post by Stedman5040 »

have you downloaded something like k6speed or ctu from this website to enable such functions as write allocate on the cpu? Not much use doing any benches without enabling all of the functions of the processor. This might be the reason xp is a little slack.

The cpu should hit 550 at 2.0v no problems at all. I have one of those cpus working at 1.85v at 550.

Stedman
Shaihulud
Junior K6'er

Post by Shaihulud »

First of all, Thx for your help.

Second, I didn't read the textfile that came with the patched bios. It says it should run with 2.1V (it ran with 2.0V the whole time, like its written on the cpu...), it also says I don't have to clear cmos when flashing from the unpatched Bios-version. But I patched from the latest Bios-version (591ps025). Kind of "down-flashed" :?: That tells me i should clear cmos, i guess... (how did that work? i have to set a jumper, huh? :?:)

In 1 out of 5, PC refuses to boot

all the fans are working, everything looks normal to me, but the screen stays blank. Its doing the normal "Beep".

Of all the things you suggested in your answer, i didnt do any yet. Cause in my opinion it has have something to do with either the cpu or the os. The former AMD K6-2 550 is still working fine - that i checked. And theres a mistake i made, i have win xp pro with no service pack - does it make a difference?

Another thing: As usual in Ebay the CPU has been sold as "damaged" - its been the 6th cpu i bought via ebay, and all have been sold as damaged but worked perfectly.

Thx again.

Steffen
Jim
K6'er Elite

Post by Jim »

If you have another board you could try that CPU in, that might help settle the issue of whether or not it is actually "damaged". Apart from that, the thing I find most disconcerting is the report that the FSB is floating up and down. If your board is one that the FSB settings are in the bios, that, (and the "black screen"), might be caused by a mobo battery that is past due for replacement. Would try changing it, (its cheap), and see if that helps.
Superpuppy 3
K6-3+ 450 ACZ (6x100)
DFI K6BV3+/66 Rev B2 (2 Meg) w/ 2x28mm Chipset Fans
2x256 Meg PC 133 Hynix SDRAM
1x 20G Maxtor (7200)
2x 80G Maxtor (7200) Ducted w/ 2x486 Fans Mount
52/24/52/16 LG CDR/RW/DVD
8/4/3/12/24/16/32 LG Super Multi
ATI 9000 aiw Radeon AGP
SB Audigy 1 MP3 Sound
CMD 649 IDE Controller
NEC USB 2 Card
Shaihulud
Junior K6'er

Answers to your questions...

Post by Shaihulud »

sylvan2626 wrote:You probably already checked these items, but I'll ask anyway:
1. Did you run Memtest or Prime95 or CPUBurn?
2. Try removing your RAM modules and reseating them. A loose module can stop the the PC from even starting the POST or can trigger a POST error code. If the RAM socket pins and the RAM module pins are made from different metals they can oxidize over time.
3. Be sure that your video card is firmly seated and not overclocked. The video distortion could be a loose card or an overclocked card. Lose connection can stop the POST.
4. Double-check your BIOS options selected.
5. Double-check your motherboard jumpers.
6. Check the 3.3V regulator -- some of these boards were reported as having weak regulators. http://66.218.71.231/language/translati ... mpatiblebo
7. Did you load your motherboard drivers (VIA drivers)?

I'm running W2kPro on a system built around a K6-2+ 550 and it runs just fine (WinXP manages resources better than W2K).
Hello again,

want to answer your questions:

#1: Didnt use any of these tools so far (but I'm familiar with them). Right now, I'm reinstalling WinXP Pro WITH Service Pack1 and flashed the BIOS before back to the latest (591PS025), cause the unofficial K6+ site says it supports the cpu. Maybe it was a problem because of the patched BIOS?
#2: Yeah, did that before, but nothing changed...
#3: Its firmly seated and definitely not OC - but would be nice to know how to OC, though :) Its an ATI Rage Pro 32MB AGP :)
#4: What BIOS Settings? :?:
#5: What jumpers? :?:
#6: What or where is the 3.3V regulator? :?:
#7: No, cause it caused a lot of trouble with WinXP before. But maybe you could tell me when exactly to install the VIA 4in1-drivers, right after insatlling WinXP, or only after installing device drivers like graphic card, sound card, directx, and so on. :?:

I hope that helps you to help me! I really appreciate your help!

Greetings! :D

Update: Re-installed WinXP, some errors, directly after first loading the new Windows XP, it gave me error messages of various .exe-files >> Restarted >> Can't boot anymore, cant find bootable drive >> guess data has been corrupted >> so i guess, cpu is faulty? (Re-installed WinXP again with former AMD K6-2 550 and everything is perfect...) So this might be the first cpu out of 6 that IS actually damaged...

Whats your opinions?
KachiWachi
K6'er Elite

Post by KachiWachi »

You need to sort out the main system first.

Unplug everything but the CPU, RAM, Video, and floppy.

Run Memtest86 or Memtest86+ and get the system stable.

Now add your other devices one at a time and verify stability.

Once all of the hardware is installed, make sure your HDD is healthy by running the manufacturers test disk. Zero-fill the drive when complete.

You can now load your OS and go from there.
Moderator - Wim's BIOS

PC #1 - DFI 586IPVG, K6-2/+ 450 (Cyrix MII 433), 128 MB EDO. BIOS patched by Jan Steunebrink.
PC #2 - Amptron PM-7900 (M520), i200 non-MMX, 128 MB EDO
PC #3 - HP8766C, PIII-667, 768 MB SDRAM
PC #4 - ASUS P3V4X, PIII-733, 256 MB SDRAM
PC #5 - Gateway 700X, P4-2.0 GHz, 768 MB PC800 RDRAM
PC #6 - COMPAQ Evo N1020v laptop, P4-2.4 GHz, 1 GB PC2700 DDR
PC #7 - Dell Dimension 4600i, P4-2.8 GHz, 512 MB PC2700 DDR
PC #8 - Acer EeePC netbook, Atom N270 @ 1.60 GHz, 1 GB RAM
PC #9 - ??? ;)
DasMan2

Post by DasMan2 »

BIOS updating : Some motherboards require that you Turn OFF the external cache before doing the update ... this may help in your case. I have the same motherboard as you , but the manual does not state that it is required.

You could do your BIOS updating at a lower speed with a known stable CPU and only one SDRAM stick, possibly put in a simple PCI video card instead of the AGP unit.

WIN XP Pro I have also and I need to install SP1 + SP2 and after those are installed the system seems to run alot snappyer and faster boot-up times.

To Clear the CMOS the manual states on Page 17:
1) Turn off the PC (computer)
2) Remove jumper cap from JP2 pin 1-2 (located right by the round battery)
3) Insert the jumper cap to JP2 pin 2-3 for a brief while (5 secs)
4 + 5)Remove the jumper from JP2 pin 2-3 , reinsert it on pin 1-2
6) Turn on PC

Note: manual also states that the maximum memory TOTAL is 256 megs.
(on Page 21) and that each can only be maximum 128 megs in size. Since there are two slots for the SDRAM, giving 256 total.
This motherboard also has two older SIMM (72 pin) slots ..they can not be used at the same time :x

My experience so far with this M.B. is that @ 95 bus speed the top CPU MHZ achieved was 570 , but @100 bus speed 550 was only possible. Extra CPU voltage is better. It did not like my older 2.4v K6-III CPU.

This M.B. probably runs better on Win 98 S/E than XP with only 256 megs ram, although a AMD K6-2 or III + PLUS CPU may get better performance should you be able to get two 256 megs sticks of SDRAM to run stable.

Are you using a AT power supply or a ATX one ?
There are two jumpers that set the SDRAM Frequency JA25 + JP9.
Page 15 in the manual helps to explain their unique function should you ever want to change it from the present setting.
Shaihulud
Junior K6'er

Trying another option... but fails too (cant flash SP97-V..)

Post by Shaihulud »

First of all, thx for your suggestions...

Currently I'm trying one of them, putting the K6-2+ on a different mobo. Ive got a ASUS SP97-V Board, which should support it - according to the unofficial K6-2+ website (although I dont know how, cause it only supports FSB up to 75MHz - 75 times 6 makes only 450 :?:

But anyway I cant go this far, cause I cant flash the bios with the patched BIOS. Disabled Virus warning, disabled external cache, used uniflash, awdflash795, awdflash116. Just doesnt work. The more I try the more I'm %$?§$%"... :evil:

Maybe I'm putting the K6-2+ in it with the normal bios. Will see what happens... Cant get worse...

Greetings...
Shaihulud
Junior K6'er

Thats what happens on the SP97-V board...

Post by Shaihulud »

...with the normal BIOS:

System tells it a -MMX CPU at 400MHz (makes sense, 66,6 times 6).
CPU-Z recognises it as a K6-2+ or K6-III-CPU (just like my HOT-591P-Board. But it shows me a funny BUS-Speed too

it changes between 66MHz (400MHz) and 90MHz (550MHz). Looks like it wants to have the cpu-speed its intended for (like a child: I know I'm 400MHz, BUT I WANT TO BE 550MHZ, I WANT, I WANT!!!!)

No idea what this should tell me...

But if someone could tell me how to get this mobo flashed and how to increase the fsb then.... :?:

Greetings!
DasMan2

Post by DasMan2 »

There is a manual and Bios upgrade from the Shuttle website you can access.

http://global.shuttle.com/Download/Down ... em=HOT-591

The BIOS file is 591PWIQB from 591ps025.zip dated 03/27/2001 , maybe better than the onoe you tried. You can also download the manual from there too (english only ?)

I have my 591P set-up in a computer I could check over for the BIOS etc. later today to check the actual Bios file I upgraded to. Maybe re-do the Bios upgrade again to the best one or just try the other version to see the difference.
Shaihulud
Junior K6'er

Post by Shaihulud »

DasMan2 wrote:There is a manual and Bios upgrade from the Shuttle website you can access.

http://global.shuttle.com/Download/Down ... em=HOT-591

The BIOS file is 591PWIQB from 591ps025.zip dated 03/27/2001 , maybe better than the onoe you tried. You can also download the manual from there too (english only ?)

I have my 591P set-up in a computer I could check over for the BIOS etc. later today to check the actual Bios file I upgraded to. Maybe re-do the Bios upgrade again to the best one or just try the other version to see the difference.
Thats the BIOS I have. I also checked the manual, but its not much use, cause the latest CPU it knows is the AMD K6-2 300MHz.

Anyway, i think to give up. Maybe its really the cpu thats faulty, maybe its the ram/mobo/battery/graca (but i dont think so, cause everything works great with the other cpu...). So I will go back to normal, wait 60days to sell this cpu to somebody else and take good care of my amd k6-2 550.

Maybe in the future i can getmy hands on a guaranteed working amd k6-2+/3+.

Greetings!
sylvan2626
Senior K6'er

Post by sylvan2626 »

Watch those Shuttle BIOSes -- I think that several (all?) of them set the CPU's default core voltage at 3.2V. Use the jumpers to set the voltage rather than the BIOS.

Load the VIA drivers after first installing the operating system. I load them before installing any service packs, patches, updates, drivers (other than what the OS has), cards, etc. Try to get the info from Shuttle's site (manual, BIOS, drivers, etc.). See ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/
You can select the manual is several languages, pick up BIOSes, drivers, there. It is a little slow to load each page, but it gets the job done.

Don't give up too quickly - the K6 "plus" CPUs are a noticable inprovement over the K6 and K6-2 processors. I still think that using a known good CPU and RAM to make sure that the 591P is stable running Memtest, then changing the CPU and FHS combo (so that only one variable is introduced to a stable system), and then running memtest again is the best way to resolve the issues. What HSF were you using?
EP-MVP3G2 Rev 1.0 (8/6/01 BIOS) -- K6-2+ 550ACZ @ 618MHz (103MHz FSB) 640MB PC100

EP-MVP3G5 Rev1.4 (8/6/01 BIOS) -- K6III+ 500ANZ @ various MHz
Shaihulud
Junior K6'er

Post by Shaihulud »

sylvan2626 wrote:What HSF were you using?
What is HSF - dont forget, I'm german - in german it might be RKJ :wink:
Shaihulud
Junior K6'er

News flash...

Post by Shaihulud »

Guess I was about giving up too early. When reinstalling WinXP with the former K6-2 550 CPU, it gave me an error message that points to faulty ram! (according to various forums).

So, I'll do whats necessary to find out if its all because of the ram. I have a thought (I hope I can tell that in english).

The normal K6-2 cpu has no internal l2 cache. So it can only cache 64(?) MB of RAM , the K6-2+ CPU has l2 cache and it can cache RAM to up to 4GB (or all of my 256MB). So maybe because of being able to cache the whole RAM, it caused the faulty RAM to actually show that its faulty. Understand what I mean?

Tell me I could be right, please!