Problem with K6-III+ 550 overlcocking

Discussion relating to Socket 7 hardware.
aleksej
Newbie K6'er

Problem with K6-III+ 550 overlcocking

Post by aleksej »

I have a strange problem with my K6-III+ 550mhz
I can't overclock it. When i'm rise it frequency to 600mhz system become very unstable but it working. Archivators make errors, many programs shutdown with system errors but whole system not reboot or lookups and keep working but with errors. I check temperature before and after overclocking - is the same. I use good massive copper heatsink with 4600rpm cooler for tualatins that come with Powerleap PL-iP3/T adaptor. Temperature always even with full loaded CPU not higher than 50C.
I have standard vertical minitower case and motherboard ofcourse placed vertically. But when i place case horizontally that problem disappeared and system work just fine with overlcocked processor.
but i NOTE! in both cases temperature is the same.
Also i played with voltage regulator from 1.9v to 2.2v - nothing happens. System keep working good with overlcok only when placed horizontally.
Heatsink sitting on CPU perfectly with no gaps.
What wrong?
Jim
K6'er Elite

RE: Problem with K6-III+ 550 overlcocking

Post by Jim »

Could be you are getting some kind of short when the board is in the vertical position, (tending to slide downwards), could be that your heatsink clip is not generating enough pressure in the vertical position, - 50C is a bit too hot. Am assuming that you did not forget to close the processor locking arm, (like I did once), - in which case it would work better horizontally than vertically. Could be your AGP or PCI cards are not making good enough contact in the vertical position. etc.

Recommend : Uninstall all cards. Blow out all slots w/ compressed air. Reinstall cards, taking care to push them right in and centre them up before tightening the screws. Check once installed if they are properly seated. (Once saw a case that needed taller than usual mobo standoffs, for the cards to seat properly). Check mobo tray for freeplay, and see if anything is coming in contact on the bottom edge of the board.
Superpuppy 3
K6-3+ 450 ACZ (6x100)
DFI K6BV3+/66 Rev B2 (2 Meg) w/ 2x28mm Chipset Fans
2x256 Meg PC 133 Hynix SDRAM
1x 20G Maxtor (7200)
2x 80G Maxtor (7200) Ducted w/ 2x486 Fans Mount
52/24/52/16 LG CDR/RW/DVD
8/4/3/12/24/16/32 LG Super Multi
ATI 9000 aiw Radeon AGP
SB Audigy 1 MP3 Sound
CMD 649 IDE Controller
NEC USB 2 Card