K6-2 533@605MHZ GA-5AX~Voodoo 5 5500

Discussion relating to Socket 7 hardware.
$SOLID$Necro
Newbie K6'er

K6-2 533@605MHZ GA-5AX~Voodoo 5 5500

Post by $SOLID$Necro »

Hello All!

New member, just signed up to say thanks! :D

My first brand new computer was a K6-2 400mhz (Wich I still have most of) back in 98, bought just to play Quake 1. I added a Voodoo 3 to it and had fun with it for quite a while, until new games came along and it just did not cut it anymore.

Flash forward many years, I get serious about overclocking (Even made it into the top ten back in 05 with 3DMark 05 on a AMD 4000=@nearly 3GHZ and SLI 6800 Ultra's tweaked to the max using chilled air) and for around 3 years was a staff member and writer for PCApex (Formerly known as Pimp Rig)

Over the years, I collected many parts and peices for K6-2's at one point I had a K6-2 500 in a Asus P5-B that would do 575MHZ, but lost that board in a move.

Recently I came acrossed a GA-5AX Rev 4.0 (One of my buddies from Pimprig told me to look for them) and slapped in a AFX533 I had also came acrossed and decided to have some fun!

So far, I have been able to reach 125mhz on this board, but from what I have been able to gather, it may be the AGP card holding me back from getting higher. I will have to throw in a PCI card and see if I can get a bit more...The manual shows settings of up to 140mhz, but I doubt that is possible...any idea how far they can go?

I am using 2.7v and a stock cooler, the AMD XP stock cooler I have will need some mods to clear on of the capacitors to fit properly. If I get some better cooling, how far can I go with voltage?

Is it worth it to remove the heatspreader? I saw a K6-2 550 @ 632MHZ in the OC databse, and wondered how he got so far with a non plus or K6-3!

I entered mine and it's the second fastest on the list for plain old K6-2's, but would like to push it further..any suggestions?

I am a little bit fuzzy on the VCC voltage settings, I take it this has something to do with the FSB though, and have found 2 settings, 3.3 and 3.58v, and only one thread on the topic so far.

Will it help me reach over 125FSB to bump it up to 3.58v? I got the impression this setting may be a bit harmfull to the life of the board or CPU, so is there a chip on the board I should throw a heatsink on?

I still have another AFX 533 and a 500MHZ chip laying around...and another recent find, an Asus P5-A-5 that I may goof around with, anybody have much luck with them? (What is the max FSB, My P5-B topped at 115FSB.

Anyways, great forums here, they have been invaluable so far and just wanted to say thanks!
$SOLID$Necro
Newbie K6'er

Post by $SOLID$Necro »

Oh, here is a screenie of it and some Pi times (1mb would probably take to long on this!) and will see about running 3DMARK 01 soon (Got my Vodoo 5 5500@ 175MHZ for now, should be able to run 180mhz though)
Attachments
K6-2 605MHZ (Medium).JPG
K6-2 605MHZ (Medium).JPG (59.1 KiB) Viewed 10963 times
$SOLID$Necro
Newbie K6'er

Post by $SOLID$Necro »

Ran 3D01....

WOWSERS!!! a wopping 675 points :roll:
Attachments
K6-2 605MHZ Voodoo 5 5500 175MHZ 3D01 (Medium).JPG
K6-2 605MHZ Voodoo 5 5500 175MHZ 3D01 (Medium).JPG (82.56 KiB) Viewed 10956 times
DonPedro
K6'er Elite

Post by DonPedro »

solid,

a hearty welcome to this place!

your 3d01-score is way too low! I think your system has some problems. if you like I am ready to lend you some assistance in getting it right. I would suggest you start by lowering the fsb back to 100mhz and run everest version 2.20 (2.20 because most of us here in this forum use it for comparison reasons). first let us look how your system does on the write/read/latency bench. if these scores are within the reach of 150/350/200 or even better than you probably messed up the agp-driver/gfx-driver setup.
$SOLID$Necro
Newbie K6'er

Post by $SOLID$Necro »

Thank you very much DonPedro!!!!

Always glad to see a veteran jump right in with a warm welcome :D

I can almost postive its in the drivers, I realy was not focused on getting my OS up to speed, I use an Amerigellan driver (Not sure of revision off hand) and the vodoo control panel failed the install...and I am not even sure if I installed a chipset driver (Windows I think installed one)

I realy was just focused on getting the OC up to speed (Bad pun!)

I have been building some cheap (50~250$) pc's for people to surf the net with a partner, and he gave me quite a few K6-2's lately to rework, and this is how I have been able to get my hands on some very interesting hardware!

Imagine to my surprise tonight when I looked real close at the board in a Compaq, it had a GA-5MM!!! (This is the board that seems to be able to run 133FSB) I had the thing almost ready to ship when my curiuosity got the best of me...and out it came when I saw what it was!

However after looking through a few threads, the SIS chipset is a pretty poor performer, despite the high OC's it can achieve.

Looks like something with the Aladin 7 running in faux 128bit mode would realy turn in some nice benchmark numbers....I will be hunting for one of those now!

So far in the last few months I have managed to stash:
Giagbyte GA-5AX
Gigabyte GA-5MM
ASUS P5-AB

I am going to have to get rid of my original mother board from my first PC (Biostar M5-ALC) to keep the GA-5MM however... :(

I have also accumulated a few chips, the lower models will be going in the for sale PC's...after I see if they can clock up a bit :wink:
300AFR
400???
450AHX
500AFX
533AFX
533AFX

I am having so much fun playing with all these toys, I am ignoring my Q6600/GTX260 rig!

I will have to get back with you after I have straightened out my OS...but I have to get a few for sale PC's up and running first.

I'll be back! 8)
DonPedro
K6'er Elite

Post by DonPedro »

solid,

you certainly missed the news we (some sis530ers) produced here at k6plus about the true qualities of sis530 boards:

SuperPI 1M: 4:39 (279 secs)
everest read: 409 mb/s
everest write: 157 mb/s
everest latency: 163,3 ns

at 133mhz fsb/mem-speed, pci at 33mhz.

3dmark01 at both 16 and 32 bit color depth at 1024x768 resolution gives 2700+ points (geforce fx 5200).

the key to unleash the speed of the sis530 chipset is to reprogram the very conservative default chipset settings. you need the tool wpcredit, the wpcr-file for the chipset and the know-how which bits are to be turned. you will find the program und the wpcr-file in the download-section and the information what bits are to be set/unset in this thread

EDIT: changed fx 5700 to fx 5200
Last edited by DonPedro on Mon May 18, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
$SOLID$Necro
Newbie K6'er

Post by $SOLID$Necro »

LOL! :oops:

Actually...that was the thread I was kind of getting my info from!

Unfortunately...I kinda skimmed the first 5 pages (Of 16?) and came to an early conclusion it was not the most desirable chipset (After reading about the Faux 128 bit Aladin 7)

So...without wading through 16 pages, is it truely the most desirable chipset performance wise? (I allready realise it can kick A$$ FSB wise with its working PCI divider)

I saw the WPCREDIT tweaking in it's early stage, thanks for the tip on where to find it, when I get that board runing I will read the entire thread 8)

I have a PCI X-1300 that I will proabably try out with it.

Oh, from my first post, is there any advantage/drawbacks to raising VCC voltage?

Thanks again DonPedro!
DonPedro
K6'er Elite

Post by DonPedro »

solid,

I don't know if a sis530 board is "the most desirable chipset performance wise". that depends on many things for example what tools to use that rank chipsets in that respect. also the same chipset could produce different outcomes performance wise depending on the mainboard manufacturer. what about system stability, reliability of the mainboard, features, add-on possibilities, etc.

when compared to some aladdin7 board I would conclude from what kalabok has found here on this forum that the aladdin7 board may be a tick faster, but has its problems (serious one's sometimes) with stability and also features only 2 pci-slots, which translates into only 1 because the first one you probably are going to use for a decent grafics-card (the built-in art-x grafics engine is nothing to become happy with).

regarding the voltage-question: I own several asus p5a-boards (aladdin 5). asus runs this boards with 3.5v vio (affects dram, agp, chipset and cpu's io-buffer) from the mill. until now I can't report any problems because of this: I would even say that is probably one reason why the p5a-series is such a solid and reliable plaform. there is also a jumper that would allow 3.6v, which according to the p5a-manual is for further enhancement of stability if one wants to overclock the system, but warns that it might lead to a shorter life of some vital parts of the system.....
Stedman5040
Veteran K6'er

Post by Stedman5040 »

Solid,

I have a GA5-SMM board running at 600MHz (4.5x133) with 512MB of CL2 Twinmos ram and I am posting this message to you from this very machine at the moment. What revision is the board you have? and is it flashed with the latest gigabyte bios?

A few things to remember with running the fsb at 133.

1. Turn off the external cache as it will not boot with it on
2. With no external cache a K6-2 cpu will be crippled as it has no L2 cache
3. So to get the best from this board you must use a cpu with onboard L2 cache such as the mobile K6plus's or a K6-3.

I have just run Everest 2.20 and Sandra 2004 memory benches and followed by superpi 1M got as follows

Everest 2.20

MR/MW/ML 402/165/166

Sandra 2004

alu/fpu 217/211

Superpi 1M 4M 53s

These are really not bad results when compared to the mvp3 and ali 5 chipsets. OK they do not run at 133 and it is a pity that at 100mhz the sis530 chipset does not perform like the two chipsets mentioned here. However you have just got to take what you have got. By the way my board has a pci 9250 video card onboard.

I cannot get 3Dmark 2001 to work my machine just crashes. Maybe it is a driver issue. I'll have to check it out.

Stedman.