Power Supply ???

Discussion relating to Socket 7 hardware.
deerhaven
Junior K6'er

Power Supply ???

Post by deerhaven »

HI all,<br><br>I'm in need of a PS, for an AT case, with a DFI K6BV3+/66 2MB. The PS that's in the case, is a generic 250W AT PS. I will be using a K6-III+ 550 @ 600+, 12X8X32 CDWR, 16X DVD and Radeon VE 32 MB AGP . What is everyone using? Which do you recommend? AT or ATX?<br><br>Thanks,<br>dh<br> <p></p><i></i>
fireburns
Junior K6'er

Re: Power Supply ???

Post by fireburns »

DH,<br><br>I'm sure others will differ from me on this one, but here's my thoughts:<br><br>Unless you're planning on switching cases, stick with an AT power supply. To use and ATX supply you'd have to do some modding in order to get a power switch rigged up, even though your motherboard should have all the connections you need for ATX.<br><br>In my experience, the K6 isn't really the power hog that Athlon's and P4's are. Your video card isn't bad as far as power consumption goes, either (well, comparatively). Another standard AT 250 watt supply should do you fine. You can pick one up new off <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.pricewatch.com">www.pricewatch.com</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> for around $20 shipped, or try your luck at E-bay.<br><br>By the time you need the power that a better PS offers, it'll be time for a new case anyway (AT is pretty much dead), so you might as well hold off until then.<br><br>just my $.02<br><br>-fire <p></p><i></i>
pikarob
K6'er

Post by pikarob »

250W should be enough...I got same mobo as you, and I'm using a 250W ATX PSU.<br><br>All you really need to do is just screw in a metal paper clip behind the power switch...then a metal screw into the power switch. Connect leads up to motherbaord and appropriate part of switch. There you are, your very own soft power switch. Mine's quite reliable as well, hasn't broken ever. <p></p><i></i>
Super_Relay
Site Admin

Post by Super_Relay »

pikarob<br><br>why didnt you just go spend $1 at radio shack and get a momentary push button switch <p>K63+@575<br>192Mb Ram<br>GeForce 2 MX @ 200/200<br>32x8x4 CDRW<br>Custom Modded Chrome Orb<br></p><i></i>

testing sigs since 1981