k6 2+ and dvd

Discussion relating to Socket 7 hardware.
rdrdr
Newbie K6'er

k6 2+ and dvd

Post by rdrdr »

Hi there. I just installed a new cd-rw+dvd-rom combo drive in my k6 2+@550. I can't get the sound to work properly when playing a dvd but the drive plays music cds great. The sound also clears up when I minimize the video. I'm wondering if dvd play back is just too demanding for this cpu. But on the other hand maybe not because the sound doesn't get worse when I run cpu @450. I'm using a SB 5.1 sound card and a tnt2 32mb video. Help I'm stumped. Could it be an irq conflict? Thanks. <p></p><i></i>
io333
K6'er Elite

Re: k6 2+ and dvd

Post by io333 »

hi, the problem is your soundblaster 5.1 card sucking up *all* of your pci bandwidth. a good phillips card would solve the problem. messing around with your pci latency settings might help too, but it gets pretty involved. <br><br>try this:<br><br>do a googlel search on something like "george via latency patch" and install "georges via PCI latency patch", i think version 0.9 or so. it just may make your problems go away. <br><br>please post back here what happens. <p></p><i></i>
rdrdr
Newbie K6'er

Post by rdrdr »

OK I downloaded the zip vlatency_019 and tried to run setup. bat(double click) But I got an error (installation failed). I tried several versions from different sites same results. Is this happeninng because I already have the latest 4in1 drivers installed. Also sandra tells me that my tnt2 has latency problems not my sb 5.1. I installed a sb awe64 isa card and still had the same sound problems. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub70.ezboard.com/urdrdr.showPub ... N>rdrdr</A> at: 3/26/02 9:51:50 am<br></i>
rdrdr
Newbie K6'er

Post by rdrdr »

I got the latency patch to run. I forgot to move files to a folder before trying to run them. thats what I get for trying to fix my computer at 4am. Anyway patch works great!! The sound is perfect. THANKS . This is by far the most informative site I have ever been to. You guys rock!<br>ps. Any reason my front side bus appears to be fluctuating between 82 and 103mhz. I can see this on k6speed control window <p></p><i></i>