Power Supply

Discussion relating to Socket 7 hardware.
pedrogad
Junior K6'er

Power Supply

Post by pedrogad »

Following some instability with a Radeon 9100 in my system, I'm thinking of changing my psu from the current 200w (-and old!) unit to something like 300w. The funny thing is a newly purchased GF3 appears to run fine (3100 points in 3d2001), with no apparent power probs. However my psu is several years old and I think it's time to upgrade it.<br><br>My question is this.....are there any particular things to look out for when replacing an AT power supply with an ATX version? What about the on/off switch.....I assume the ATX will need a different version of the switch? My Gigabyte GA5-aa motherboard has a connection for AT and ATX, and also a jumper thingy for "Keyboard Power On", which I assume is for ATX psu's? Can I therefore use the keyboard to power up the computer, if I change over to an ATX supply? If so, can I forget about the case's on/off switch being different?<br><br>I notice there is a fair supply of AT psu's still available in the USA, but I'm from the U.K. and you're lucky to find them at all, let alone any 300w+ versions.<br><br>I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks, guys.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>