Ali Aladdin V and AGP Control Panel / Center

Discuss software and how to tweak more performance out of your system.
jwhickman
Junior K6'er

Ali Aladdin V and AGP Control Panel / Center

Post by jwhickman »

I'm using AGP driver 1.90 and AGP CP 1.4 (I think). Right now I'm using the 'Normal' mode. Surely others have tested this extensively and have good ideas on how to it up well (Turbo/Manual settings). eg. - what's a good frame buffer size to use, etc.? (I'm burned out from spending the past 3 days trying to get post Catalyst 2.2 drivers to work w/ my Radeon 8500 64mb BBA)<br> Fast writes are not possible not the V right? (haven't read up on that stuff in a little while)<br>Thanks, <p></p><i></i>
cake
Bios Fryer

Re: Ali Aladdin V and AGP Control Panel / Center

Post by cake »

Found this...<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.hardware.coolalfa.com/overcl ... <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Was looking for other stuff so I haven't read it thoroughly. <p>------------------------------[ my rig ]------------------------------<br>K6-3+ 450@577 (115 x 5), Gigabyte GA-5AX rev5.2<br>386 MB generic RAM<br>15 GB Quantum Fireball LCT + 60 GB Seagate Barracuda IV<br>Radeon 8500LE @ 294/326 MHz (core/mem)<br>SB Live! Value with homemade digital I/O add-on<br>3com 3C905-TX NIC + Netgear FA312 NIC</p><i></i>
XP-M 2400+ @ 10x220, Epox 8RDA3+
512 MB PC3200 KingMax
15 GB Quantum Fireball LCT + 60 GB Seagate Barracuda IV
Radeon 8500LE
pedrogad
Junior K6'er

Ali V and AGPCC

Post by pedrogad »

I too have had a gutful of farting around with a Radeon 9100 recently! One too many probs with my GA5-aa m/b, although the tantalising thing is the cards works acceptably well with a GA5-ax board! Possibly to do with power supplies, as mine is only 200w? There are various posts on this in "General".<br><br>Re the AGPCC, if you set to "Turbo" you get GAT 2 which is quicker, but has always caused some lockups for me. Back now with my trusty GF2Ti, I set the parameters manually within the Control Center. The main ones are 2xAGP, K6 EWBEC 3, GAT Mode 1 (stability). I disable Frame Buffer Size, Force Assert Request is ticked, Write Allocation either "enable" or "enabled with hole" if an ISA card is in use. There are of course a number of options in BIOS, which I have spent some time tweaking over the years!<br><br>I do run "side band" also. The Radeon enabled this automatically, but you can turn it off in AGPCC if you wish. I used NVMax to enable Side Band Addressing with my GF2Ti card. I also use Rob M's CTU prog, which is excellent.<br><br>Good luck with it all, especially the Radeon. If you find a way of getting the AGPCC's GAT 2 to be overridden, when you use the ATI card, please let me know. My system has never liked GAT 2, but the friggin' Radeon insists on it. Even resetting the AGPCC to GAT 1 and rebooting doesn't help, as the "Status" is still shown as GAT 2, despite the manual attempts to use GAT 1. <p></p><i></i>
pedrogad
Junior K6'er

Fastwrites

Post by pedrogad »

P.S. Don't think this applies to SS7 <p></p><i></i>
jwhickman
Junior K6'er

looks like we've crossed paths in different posts here!

Post by jwhickman »

I installed my cat2.2 (see others posts why I'm using 2.2; nothing newer works; get consistant lockups w/ 2.3 thru 3.1) using the display update not the ati setup, so smartgart wasn't installed. The one time I tried running Turbo mode w/ GAT 2 it didn't work (had to boot to windows safe mode to reset AGPCC).<br> have you tried the 2.2 drivers perchance? also, I had lots of problems when I was using a cheap 300w AT PSU; sw/ to a good 300W atx and it solved all my problems at that time (was using cat 2.0 at the time I think). <p></p><i></i>