getting k6wc to work

Discuss software and how to tweak more performance out of your system.

getting k6wc to work

Post by Guest »

Hello,
I've been messing with k6wc for weeks now and have a few questions. How do you configure the best mb? Also, it enables write combining with the first address from setk6 yet always locks up if I put in the second address as shown. This is how I put it autobat.exe

C:\k6wc 00000000 16 00000000 16
Now, with just the first address it turns on write combing no problem. If I add the second address as shown it crashes, the bios starts beeping and the page flickers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have in bat.exe as follows
C:\KCACHE\CHACHEONW.EXE
C:\k6wc 00000000 16
C:\k6waon 256
C:\setewb 2

With that setup it says write combine enabled, write allocation for 256mb enabled and speculative write ordering is enabled by checking with sandra.
Is it the order, the mbs, or should I start a new line for the second LFB address? Thanks for your time. regards,
georgep1
Veteran K6'er

Re: k6wc

Post by georgep1 »

I never really tried that write combine program. In order to enable/enhance write combine, I ran CPUCool which gave that option, then ran CTU after CPUCool enabled write combining and captured those settings for startup. Found out it helped with the Voodoo3/4s I used to have, but not with GeForce type cards. In fact, it would lock up for the nvidia cards so I gave up on that early.
E-Machines T6000 (AMD64 3200+) (Don't laugh! It absolutely rocks!)
GigaByte K7N400 Pro2, 3200+, 1 GB DDR, 80 GB WD SE
Epox MVPG5, K6-III+@550, 384 SDRAM, 80 GB WD SE
TX97-XE, K6-III+@400, 256 SDRAM, 40 GB WD HD
DasMan2

Post by DasMan2 »

CTU program for Nvidia cards I found worked when set to "Normal" and not "Write Combined" .

Checking the Memory used for the video cards can be done through "Device Manager" and checking the Resources used of the video card.
Once you have those settings (the larger ones = E4000000 - E1FFFFFF types) you have to input that into the 1st memory row in the left side of the two rows in the CTU program....mouse click on the right side row which then auto updates that side accordingly to the "MB" size chosen.

The MB size can be scrolled through and tweaked as it also then changes the corresponding Range of the MTRR0 + MTRR1 automatically...its up to you determine which setting(s) give better response to the system performance.

You have to save the settings I find by hitting apply sometimes after unchecking the "apply at start check box" then hitting Apply" then rechecking "apply at start check box" to get the window pop-up stating settings have been saved.

Hope that might give a better use on getting those settings working or tweaked. :)
carlcoconut
Newbie K6'er

Post by carlcoconut »

If you want to set write combining under Windows XP you can use Write Allocate Monitor II. I put a link in the Downloads section. Great program, you can also set Write Allocate, External Write Buffer Empty Control (EWBE) and Data Prefetch with it.
dusty1
Newbie K6'er

Post by dusty1 »

Hello,
Thanks for the suggestions, appreciate it. I figured it out. setk6 was registering the IO address as the second address. I used freshdiagnose and found the correct second memry address. Using the programs from autobat.exe my CPU usage is "normal" with everything enabled that way;however, if I use any of the programs, powertweak, rawpower ect.., it makes the CPU read 100% usage all the time. I actually ran it overclocked under 100% strain for 60 days with no BLODs. It's an amazing chip, for an oldschooler like me. Finally, I doubt it is "coincidence" that the + models just happen to read 2x as 6x, even some cupids ID it as a 600mhz OEM chip. Regards,
emachines333cs
K6 2+@601.33
256ram 20.4g 7200 Caviar
AMI 2000 on Delhi3
Win98 IE6
400w Fastethernet 10/100
Mitsumi CD/RW
old tech?yup usable?definately