BIOS support for boot-from-USB

Discuss software and how to tweak more performance out of your system.
Ninho
Newbie K6'er

BIOS support for boot-from-USB

Post by Ninho »

Hi K6-ers worldwide !

looking to mod my BIOS in order to allow boot-from-USB-key.
Are there any BIOSes around for Super-7 boards that have this function ? I'd like to have a look at how they do it ...

My SS7 system is an IBM Aptiva, using an ACER OEM board (V75-M) and ACER BIOS v 3.2 iirc. Do you know if that ACER BIOS is really made by ACER, or is it just a label for a customized brand BIOS, and which ? ... Any pointers to tech docs for that BIOS, ideally to source code ( o.k. I do not really hope to find up to date source code...)

TYIA .

Btw : Since this mo-bo is not dealt with by either Podien's or Oda's FSB-changing progs, I made one for myself (and used it succesfully thousands of times ) . Shoud the crowds be interested, I may release it (as postcardware or such...) It works under DOS (ideal for autoexec.bat !) and under Windows (95 98 ME) too. And it's TIP (Tiny Is Pretty) design : 400 bytes including help !)

--
Ninho

K6-2+ 450 @560

Re: BIOS support for boot-from-USB

Post by Guest »

sure, are we interested!

what chipsets are supported (via , ali,sis)?
Ninho wrote:Hi K6-ers worldwide !

looking to mod my BIOS in order to allow boot-from-USB-key.
Are there any BIOSes around for Super-7 boards that have this function ? I'd like to have a look at how they do it ...

My SS7 system is an IBM Aptiva, using an ACER OEM board (V75-M) and ACER BIOS v 3.2 iirc. Do you know if that ACER BIOS is really made by ACER, or is it just a label for a customized brand BIOS, and which ? ... Any pointers to tech docs for that BIOS, ideally to source code ( o.k. I do not really hope to find up to date source code...)

TYIA .

Btw : Since this mo-bo is not dealt with by either Podien's or Oda's FSB-changing progs, I made one for myself (and used it succesfully thousands of times ) . Shoud the crowds be interested, I may release it (as postcardware or such...) It works under DOS (ideal for autoexec.bat !) and under Windows (95 98 ME) too. And it's TIP (Tiny Is Pretty) design : 400 bytes including help !)

--
Ninho

K6-2+ 450 @560
Ninho
Newbie K6'er

Post by Ninho »

> sure, are we interested!

Thank you, Guest !

>what chipsets are supported (via , ali,sis)?

Program only supports the chipset on this motherboard, i.e. SiS530/ 5595 and Cypress/ICW W153 clock generator. This is found on some APTIVAs, maybe some ACER laptops, others, home brew ?

Still interested ; ) ?

Guess I shall upload it to this board, need to compile a tiny bit of doc before...

Cheers,

--
Ninho