WPCredit Operating Instructions

Discuss software and how to tweak more performance out of your system.
Jim
K6'er Elite

WPCredit Operating Instructions

Post by Jim »

For those of you not familiar with WPCredit, it is a program designed to allow the user to access a huge range of chipset settings, many of which cannot be accessed by other methods. You can find it in the downloads section here compliments of Nohr.

What the program does is allow the user to reset 2048 switches for each of the devices controlled by the chipset. These include the "Hostbridge", "PCI - PCI Bridge", "OHCI USB Controller", "Other Bridge", "ISA Bridge", "Audio Controller", "Other Input Device", "Ethernet Controller", "IDE Controller", and "VGA Compatable" for an ALi chipset; I will edit this to include the MVP3 Chipset device list when I am back on that machine.

Edit : MVP3 Device List (as applies to a DFI K6BV3+/66): "Host Bridge" (Function 0) = (PCR 11060598), "PCI - PCI Bridge" (PCR 11068598), "ISA Bridge" (PCR 11060596), "IDE Controller" (PCR 11060571), "UHCI USB Controller" (PCR 11063038), "Host Bridge" (Function 3) = (PCR 11063050), "IEEE1394" (Function 0) = (PCR 103300E7), "Ethernet Controller" (PCR 13170985), "Raid Controller" (PCR 10950649), "Audio Controller" (PCR 11020004), "Other Input Device" (PCR 11027003), "IEEE1394" (Function 2) = (PCR 11024001), "VGA Compatable" (PCR 10024966), and "Other VGA" (PCR 1002496E).

Most of these switches, or settings, are "Reserved", i.e. DO NOT TOUCH, (This is probably just as well, because 10 devices x 2048 settings is an awfull lot of settings); but nonetheless there are far more that you can adjust than you will find by any other method. (I did accidentally once change a reserved setting, and benchmark the result for a small gain, - but as soon as I realized what I had done, I set it back where it belonged.)

The program comes with "PCR Files", which contain the default settings and brief explanations of what they are. Each "Device" has its own separate PCR File. Some of the PCR files that I have for the MVP3 Chipset are available in the downloads section here. All of the PCR files that I have for the ALi chipset are available in the downloads section here. Since I am typing this on my ALi machine, I will edit it later to give a list of my MVP3 PCR Files.

Edit : I will divide the MVP3 PCR Files which I have into two categories. Those which are applicable to the DFI K6BV3+/66, and others applicable to other boards.

DFI K6BV3+/66 PCR Files : 11060571 = IDE Controller ; 11060596 = ISA Bridge ; 11060598 = Host Bridge ; 11063038 = UHCI USB Controller ; 11068598 = PCI - PCI Bridge.

Other PCR Files : 11060391 = ? ; 11060501 = ? ; 11060597 = ? 11060691 = ?.

If anyone needs any of the PCR files that I have, send me your E-Mail in a private message, and I will send them to you. If anyone has other PCR Files they are willing to share, send me a private message requesting my e-mail. Or alternately post them to Nohr along with a description of what they are for so that they may be added to the download section.

The way the program works, is you first open WPCredit. Once open you will see a screen, that is divided into various areas. The three most important areas, are 1) the large area on the left, (with the hexidecimal numbers), 2) the smaller area on the right, which contains the description of the switches in the currently accessed register, and 3) the centre area at the bottom which contains the word "Hex" next to the hexadecimal value of the contents of the current accessed register; and the word "Bin" next to a line of machine code which allows you to alter the settings.

Once having opened WPCredit, what you do is click on the "Edit" menu up at the top, and from that menu, click on device. This will open a list of "Devices" that you can tweak the settings for. From this list you then highlight the device that you want to tweak (typically "Hostbridge"). When doing so, pay close attention to the number of the PCR File required for that device, which you will see listed immediately to the left of the device name. Once you have highlighted the device chosen click ok.

Then what you do is click on the "File" menu up at the top; and from that menu click on "PCR Open". That will open a browser window which enables you to browse to where you have saved the PCR Files that you download. You then highlight the PCR File that you want to use and click on "Open".

Once the PCR File is open, what you do is highlight one of the white hex register value numbers in the large #1 area on the left of the screen. The contents of that register will be displayed in the #2 area on the right of the screen. Many of the registers highlighted in the #1left screen will wind up being shown as "reserved" , or "same as top" in the #2 right screen. These you just skip over, untill you find one with settings.

Once you have found a register containing settings that you wish to adjust, the individual bits in #3 area at the centre bottom of the screen can then be highlighted; and as each is highlighted, an asterisk will appear in the #2 area on the right screen showing what that particurlar bit in the #3 area controls. Changes are effected by highlighting a bit then using your keyboard to alter its value from "1" to "0" or from "0" to "1".

Once you have completed your changes, to each register click on the set button at the bottom right of the screen and a little popup will say data was changed New register? Give it a yes if you are satisfied with what you did, then move on to the next register value in the large #1 screen on the left.

Once you have worked through all of the tweaks you want to do; and created all the new registers you intend to, you may click on the "File" menu up at the top and save your changes, with both Register Save; and Environment Save.

You can run benchmarks at any time in all this to see the effects of the changes you are making, though some don't appear to take effect until after a reboot completely clears the old values.

NOTE: The changes effected by WPCredit are temporary. They are wiped by a reboot. If you have saved your changes, you can re-enable them by selecting "Register Load" from the Fle menu, then browsing to your saved register file. I recommend keeping an unadultrated copy of the original PCR File In a suitably labeled folder, and any changed registry files in suitably labeled folders so you can keep track of which is which.

Edit : Once you have a saved register for the "Host Bridge", you may skip using the "Edit" menu provided that you are working with the "Host Bridge", because that is the default. You may also skip using the "File" menu to load a "PCR File", in favour of just using the "File" menu to load your saved register, which you may continue to tweak.

When you are satisfied that you have your tweaks worked out, you can use WPCRSet to create a register file that can be loaded at boot, in much the same manner as K6Speed, so as to enable automatic setting of your tweaks at boot.

With apologies for being unnecessarily long winded and or turgid; but at least anyone reading it should be able to use WPCredit despite the lack of English instructions.

Edit: By rights this belongs in the software and tweaking section. Nohr could you please move it? Done. -Nohr

Thank you sir.
Last edited by Jim on Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:49 am, edited 8 times in total.
Superpuppy 3
K6-3+ 450 ACZ (6x100)
DFI K6BV3+/66 Rev B2 (2 Meg) w/ 2x28mm Chipset Fans
2x256 Meg PC 133 Hynix SDRAM
1x 20G Maxtor (7200)
2x 80G Maxtor (7200) Ducted w/ 2x486 Fans Mount
52/24/52/16 LG CDR/RW/DVD
8/4/3/12/24/16/32 LG Super Multi
ATI 9000 aiw Radeon AGP
SB Audigy 1 MP3 Sound
CMD 649 IDE Controller
NEC USB 2 Card
Jim
K6'er Elite

Post by Jim »

Just a note to advise that near the end of the original post there has been an Edit. to give one additional bit of info that simplifies things a bit.
Superpuppy 3
K6-3+ 450 ACZ (6x100)
DFI K6BV3+/66 Rev B2 (2 Meg) w/ 2x28mm Chipset Fans
2x256 Meg PC 133 Hynix SDRAM
1x 20G Maxtor (7200)
2x 80G Maxtor (7200) Ducted w/ 2x486 Fans Mount
52/24/52/16 LG CDR/RW/DVD
8/4/3/12/24/16/32 LG Super Multi
ATI 9000 aiw Radeon AGP
SB Audigy 1 MP3 Sound
CMD 649 IDE Controller
NEC USB 2 Card