Unable to rase my FSB via CPUCool

Discuss software and how to tweak more performance out of your system.
ConiKost
Newbie K6'er

Unable to rase my FSB via CPUCool

Post by ConiKost »

Hi!
I've an DFI K6XV3+/66 (2MB, Rev. B2) here with an K6-IIIE+ 400MHz ATZ
So, as far I know, I am unable to rase FSB via DIP-Switches over 100MHz...

Reading here, I need a Software like CPUCool. But it seems not to work for me :) It's a complety fresh Install of Win98SE.

After installing CPUCool, I can choose my Mainboard. So I am doing this and then I tried to rase the FSB. Just for testing, I wanted to go on 4x112MHz. After choosing this, nothing happens! The FSB just do not change. I can click how often I want. FSB is not changing.

The PLL-Driver is correct, as I located this Chip on my Mainboard, which CPUCool choosed.

Any Ideas?
Steven67
Junior K6'er

Post by Steven67 »

Hello,

I had received nice help here from Jim and others, so I would help you, even if I am not an expert.

If you want to have the fsb 'setting' function in Cpucool, I think you have to register to the author W Podien. It is a nice software.

To raise the fsb, be sure that the selected pll is the 'Winbond W83194R-58A', look for this pll exactly with a K6Bv3+/66 (the best is to locate the winbond chip on your mobo and look closely to the number).

If you do that, you will access to fsb 103, 112, 115, 120 and maybe more ;)

Best regards.
Best regards to all the K6 lovers too.
K6-3E+ ATZ /400 @600 Mhz (120*5)
DFI K6BV3+/66 rev B1 / 512 Ko L3
768 Go ram
3Dfx VooDoo5 5500
Hd WD 80Go Ide / Dvd Rom LG
Usb 2.0 / Fast Ethernet / Windows 7
Jim
K6'er Elite

Post by Jim »

I have a K6BV3+ /66 Rev B2 w/ 2 Meg cache, which is the AT version of your ATX board, and I was quite disappointed with it. I found it was incapable of supporting the settings that I could use with my 1 Meg cache board of the same type. But perhaps my board is NFG. If I were you I would try using the 103 setting before going to 112. As regards having to register with Mr. Podein, I am not sure about that one way or the other, because my copy of CPUCool is registered. You are going to need VERY good SDRAM if you want to raise the FSB above 103 Mhz, unless you slow down the RAM timings so much that, (in my experience), performance is actually worse than what you can achieve at 5.5x103 using WPCredit to optimize your chipset settings.
Superpuppy 3
K6-3+ 450 ACZ (6x100)
DFI K6BV3+/66 Rev B2 (2 Meg) w/ 2x28mm Chipset Fans
2x256 Meg PC 133 Hynix SDRAM
1x 20G Maxtor (7200)
2x 80G Maxtor (7200) Ducted w/ 2x486 Fans Mount
52/24/52/16 LG CDR/RW/DVD
8/4/3/12/24/16/32 LG Super Multi
ATI 9000 aiw Radeon AGP
SB Audigy 1 MP3 Sound
CMD 649 IDE Controller
NEC USB 2 Card
ConiKost
Newbie K6'er

Post by ConiKost »

Hi!
Thank you for your Answers.
The Problem is, it doesn't matter which FSB I try to set.
103,112,115,120 etc... Tried everyone. It just nothing happens :(
So you say, I need to register first? Could somebody of you try the unregistered version, if this really do not work?

@Steven67
Exactly this PLL CPUCool choosed. I also found this Chip on my mainboard.
kalabok
Senior K6'er

Post by kalabok »

hello conicost,

i can remember, i had the same problem on win xp. its indeed impossible to change the ssel3 bit in register 0 on that board (on a mcp3c2/k6bv3/66 it works). i do not understand a lot of electronics, but i think, this bit is simply "not connected", although it physically has nothing to do with pins on the pll.

another theory is - there is a problem within cpucool-pll interaction. maybe changing the boards bios fixes the problem. i would advise you to flash the k6bv3/66+ (mvp3c2) bios on that board, try out if it works (it should) - hope you are familiar with the hotflash technique. boot the system and try it out. its maybe senseless, but i have no better idea.

but - are you able to read from the pll? are you able to verify the correct clock speed?

ah - and you dont need to register. it should work without
ConiKost
Newbie K6'er

Post by ConiKost »

kalabok wrote:hello conicost,

i can remember, i had the same problem on win xp. its indeed impossible to change the ssel3 bit in register 0 on that board (on a mcp3c2/k6bv3/66 it works). i do not understand a lot of electronics, but i think, this bit is simply "not connected", although it physically has nothing to do with pins on the pll.

another theory is - there is a problem within cpucool-pll interaction. maybe changing the boards bios fixes the problem. i would advise you to flash the k6bv3/66+ (mvp3c2) bios on that board, try out if it works (it should) - hope you are familiar with the hotflash technique. boot the system and try it out. its maybe senseless, but i have no better idea.

but - are you able to read from the pll? are you able to verify the correct clock speed?

ah - and you dont need to register. it should work without
hi kalabok,
well, when I search the forum here, there are some posts about people, who raised the FSB on the K6XV3+/66.
I've tried the lastest offical and beta bios. None of them work about raising the FSB.

>> but - are you able to read from the pll? are you able to verify the correct clock speed?

When I try to read the PLL, I get this Output:
$00 $0F $F7 $FF $CF $13 $00