How do you manage your registry?

Discuss software and how to tweak more performance out of your system.
mulvihill
Senior K6'er

How do you manage your registry?

Post by mulvihill »

Do you back up your registry before trying new software?<br>Do you backup in DOS or Windows?<br>Do you edit the registry manually or do you use some slick little utility you'd care to share with us?<br>Do you have to be a hardcore coder to get a handle on this device?<br>How do YOU manage? <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub70.ezboard.com/umulvihill.sho ... lvihill</A> at: 6/8/02 12:10:00 am<br></i>
Nohr
Nohrmal

Re: How do you manage your registry?

Post by Nohr »

I never back it up myself, I figure Windows has umpteen copies floating around my drive somewhere. I've used RegClean in the past, but mostly I just jump in with Regedit to do what's needed. <p>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-<br>Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz@1.35GHz (9x150)<br>Iwill KK266<br>256MB Crucial PC133 CAS2 5-2-2<br>Gainward GeForce3 Ti200 4ns 234/530<br>Gateway EV910 19" monitor (1600x1200 .26mm)<br>Seagate Barracuda IV 40GB 7200rpm<br>Lite-On 24/10/40 CD-RW <b>|</b> Asus 40x CD-ROM <b>|</b> Toshiba 16x DVD-ROM<br>Windows XP Professional</p><i></i>
grahamv
Senior K6'er

Post by grahamv »

No fixed regime, but normal practice is:<br><br>Use Ashampoo Uninstaller when adding new software. This logs changes to the registry.<br><br>Norton Utilities<br> Registry Tracker. Gives me the ability to restore changed keys that might be causing problems<br> Windoctor. Finds & corrects wrong entries<br><br>Regclean & Regmaid to find the things that Windoctor can't<br><br>Whenever I embark on a major Regedit session I try to remember to force a Windows backup of the registry before I make any changes (Win98SE - Registry Checker). I have needed this on a few occasions - mostly when I've deleted a chunk that I shouldn't have. Sometimes I forget and regret it, but there is always a fairly recent Windows backup around. <p></p><i></i>
io333
K6'er Elite

Post by io333 »

WinXP. All registry issues now can be ignored. (Well, *most* of the time anyway). <p></p><i></i>
blue
Site Admin

uh

Post by blue »

I changed the sample rate of my mouse in the reg once and windows XP would just boot up a nice blue screen, thank god for system restore <p></p><i></i>
p3 1ghz laptop
geforce2 go
256mb ram
io333
K6'er Elite

Re: uh

Post by io333 »

You leave system restore running? I was wondering for the longest time why my hard drive kept getting full while I wasn't adding anything to it! <p></p><i></i>
chevyt98
Senior K6'er

Backing up a registry

Post by chevyt98 »

Thank god for the XP restore option. Its got me back up and running after a bad tweak or driver upgrade in minutes. <br><br>I know everyone says to turn it off but the added security of knowing I can screw with my system at will without a long down time is to good to pass up.<br><br>Or just use the export option in regedit and save the file in a safe place for later restore.<br><br>Regards chevy <p>------------------------------------------------<BR>Athlon T-Bird slota 900@950mhz<BR>Asus K7M<BR>256MB generic PC133 Cas 3<BR>Abit Siluro GF2 MX<BR>Seagate Barracuda 20GB 7200rpm / Quantum Fireball 6GB 5400rpm<BR>Samsung 204b CD/RW / Creative 24X CDROM<BR>Windows XP Pro</p><i></i>
BENCHMARKMAN
K6'er

Re: Backing up a registry

Post by BENCHMARKMAN »

I edit the registry manually. I use Registy Cleaner to clean up about once a month. <p>Asus A7M266<BR>. T-bird @ 1.33ghz<BR>. 256mb PC2100 DDR <BR>. Ati Radeon 8500 LE @ 275/275<BR>. Windows Xp</p><i></i>
AZK6er
Veteran K6'er

Re: Backing up a registry

Post by AZK6er »

I run Windows ME and have System Restore turned OFF normally. When I install new software ao try new Tweaks, I turn it ON then create a new Restore Point then turn it back OFF again, install the new software/tweaks and see how things work out. If they don't go good then I uninstall the software/tweaks, turn ON System Restore, go back to my Restore Piont, and all's good again, then Turn OFF System Restore until I need it again in the future. So far That proceedure has worked every time. <p></p><i></i>