GeForce 7900GS AGP 3.3V compatible?

A place to discuss all aspects of games and gaming.
dominicx
Newbie K6'er

GeForce 7900GS AGP 3.3V compatible?

Post by dominicx »

I found out that the highest graphic card available for 3.3V AGP connector is Galaxy GeForce 7900GS AGP:

http://www.gfe.com.hk/Product_Details.a ... =2&class2=

Better pictures:

http://www.SPAM_agp ... 1400_.html

Of course it's expensive and there's no way to use its potential on Socket 7 system, but would it work on my Epox MVP3G5 anyway? It would be nice to have it on my system working, but I'm quite sure that it was Galaxy's mistake to use 3.3V compatible connector, as there are no other 7900GS with this connector.
The question is if nVidia allowed its cards with PCI-E-AGP bridge to use 3.3V voltage? Maybe as a precaution to avoid damages? The card still uses external power so maybe it's not so AGP-voltage depended. I'm confused.
cskamacska
Newbie K6'er

Re: GeForce 7900GS AGP 3.3V compatible?

Post by cskamacska »

dominicx wrote:but I'm quite sure that it was Galaxy's mistake to use 3.3V compatible connector, as there are no other 7900GS with this connector.
The question is if nVidia allowed its cards with PCI-E-AGP bridge to use 3.3V voltage? Maybe as a precaution to avoid damages? The card still uses external power so maybe it's not so AGP-voltage depended. I'm confused.
As far as I know nVidia's HSI chip does not support AGP 1.0 operation. In fact people have trouble getting HSI chipped cards working on AGP 2.0 motherboards. Also Galaxy is a low end manufacturer, so it is not so suprising to see a cheap universal AGP connector on a AGP 3.0 only card.
DonPedro
K6'er Elite

Post by DonPedro »

although the picture of the galaxy model shows an interface connector with 2 notches you can not be sure that the card actually will work in an agp 1.0 - slot.

the reason is that some manufacturers used this kind of connector but did not prepare the electric circuitry to run this card with 3.3v

the only manufacturer that I know of who provides complete compatibility is sparkle. but you can never be sure, sadly.
Attachments
sparkle sp-ag40gpt gf 6800 gt.png
sparkle sp-ag40gpt gf 6800 gt.png (115.71 KiB) Viewed 12169 times