Questions , need to do a fresh XP install

Discussion about systems that do not use the K6-x processors.
KHPower
Junior K6'er

Questions , need to do a fresh XP install

Post by KHPower »

I have a Xp Pro computer that needs a reformat and a fresh install , however , I do not have the copy of Xp pro that was installed on the computer but I know it was a retail copy. I do however have a copy of Xp pro that I used on another computer and was wondering if I could use that one to do a clean install on the computer that I plan to reformat? The only problem is I dont have the Product activation for the computer I am planning on reformatting.

Where can I find the number I need when it asks for my product key? And before I go any further , can I use my copy of XP pro for another computer considering they are both running Xp pro but from different discs?

Any help on this would be great and hopefully I explained what I am doing well enough
KachiWachi
K6'er Elite

Post by KachiWachi »

Everest can show you the Product ID and the Product Key.

AFAIK, you can use any CD...but the Product Key(s) *should* be different (piracy, licensing, etc...).

Of course, if you have uninstalled the OS on your original machine because you upgraded to a new one, you should have no trouble using the original (read: currently available) key. :wink:

Thanks.
Moderator - Wim's BIOS

PC #1 - DFI 586IPVG, K6-2/+ 450 (Cyrix MII 433), 128 MB EDO. BIOS patched by Jan Steunebrink.
PC #2 - Amptron PM-7900 (M520), i200 non-MMX, 128 MB EDO
PC #3 - HP8766C, PIII-667, 768 MB SDRAM
PC #4 - ASUS P3V4X, PIII-733, 256 MB SDRAM
PC #5 - Gateway 700X, P4-2.0 GHz, 768 MB PC800 RDRAM
PC #6 - COMPAQ Evo N1020v laptop, P4-2.4 GHz, 1 GB PC2700 DDR
PC #7 - Dell Dimension 4600i, P4-2.8 GHz, 512 MB PC2700 DDR
PC #8 - Acer EeePC netbook, Atom N270 @ 1.60 GHz, 1 GB RAM
PC #9 - ??? ;)
Jim
K6'er Elite

Post by Jim »

Actually both myself and Roger at Uptown have had our little problems with "Activation". XP allows you to activate on an HDD that does not have the XP boot track flag exactly 5 times. Therefore if you "Low Level" format your HDD 5 times, you have exhausted your online activation privileges, and thereafter must phone Microsoft in order to activate.

Vist allows you to activate only 3 times when the MS flag is not present on the boot track.

I have said this before; but I will say it again. When XP or Vista is installed for the first time on a hard drive, It puts a flag on the boot track. If you use a normal format to wipe your drive, that flag will survive, and be there when you reinstall your OS. When the OS is reinstalled, it checks for that flag, and if the flag is not there, your user Key install count gets incremented by 1 install at MS when you go online to activate. Once your user key activation count hits 5, (for XP), or 3, (for Vista), you can no longer activate the easy way online. This is one of MS's antipiracy measures. Instead, you have to phone them and convince them that you are not installing the same user key on multiple machines, before they will give you a one time usage activation code.
Superpuppy 3
K6-3+ 450 ACZ (6x100)
DFI K6BV3+/66 Rev B2 (2 Meg) w/ 2x28mm Chipset Fans
2x256 Meg PC 133 Hynix SDRAM
1x 20G Maxtor (7200)
2x 80G Maxtor (7200) Ducted w/ 2x486 Fans Mount
52/24/52/16 LG CDR/RW/DVD
8/4/3/12/24/16/32 LG Super Multi
ATI 9000 aiw Radeon AGP
SB Audigy 1 MP3 Sound
CMD 649 IDE Controller
NEC USB 2 Card