GM vs Microsoft

Off topic chat and stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Jim
K6'er Elite

GM vs Microsoft

Post by Jim »

Found this posted on the wall of a place I was in today; and asked for a copy. (What follows is ALL quoted verbatim).

For all who feel only the deepest love and affection for the ways that computers have enhanced our lives.

At a recent computer expo, (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry to the auto industry and stated :

"If GM had developed technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1000 miles to the gallon"

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating :

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics (and I just love this part).

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.
2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you would have to buy a new car.
3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen all the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.
4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.
5. MacIntosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive, looks pretty, but costs twice a much.
6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.
7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.
8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you silmultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.
9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.
10. You'd have to press the start button to turn the engine off.
Superpuppy 3
K6-3+ 450 ACZ (6x100)
DFI K6BV3+/66 Rev B2 (2 Meg) w/ 2x28mm Chipset Fans
2x256 Meg PC 133 Hynix SDRAM
1x 20G Maxtor (7200)
2x 80G Maxtor (7200) Ducted w/ 2x486 Fans Mount
52/24/52/16 LG CDR/RW/DVD
8/4/3/12/24/16/32 LG Super Multi
ATI 9000 aiw Radeon AGP
SB Audigy 1 MP3 Sound
CMD 649 IDE Controller
NEC USB 2 Card
Yahuli
Newbie K6'er

RE: GM vs Microsoft

Post by Yahuli »

LOL!

I realize that this post is REALLY old at this point, but it has actually been a long long times since I've checked out the forums at all- my bad! Anyway, great post- thanks Jim. I enjoyed that (except for the reference to Macs being better).

--Andy :P
TheBrain
Junior K6'er

Post by TheBrain »

Same as Yahuli. :D
AMD K6-2+ 450 ACZ | PCChips M598LMR - SiS 530 | 256 MB DIMM SDRAM | 3dfx Voodoo4 4500 PCI - 32 MB | Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 - 40 GB