New HSF on my Rig.........

Discussion relating to Socket 7 hardware.
AZK6er
Veteran K6'er

New HSF on my Rig.........

Post by AZK6er »

I just got through installing a new HSF some of you might be interested in. It's from 3DFXCool.Com and it's called "BigMoFo 3 wire", it's for a SuperSocket 7 (I got a Tyan S1590S AT100 MoBo). Anyway, It costs $27 US, is almost an exact fit at the base as my K6-III 450+ is, so no overhang to fight with if you have a row of capacitors right next to you're ZIF socket where one of the mounting tabs for the HSF spring clips are located. The Heatsink goes from about the size of you're CPU and gets bigger as it goes up until it reaches the base of the fan, an 80mm Sunon fan. 3DFXCool says this fan pushes 40cfm (Sunon says 36cfm), according to my VIA Health Monitor it twists 4000-4100 rpm and is nice and quiet (by the way, it plugs right into the fan header on you're MoBo). I had a 3DFX Socket-AHO heatsink with an ADDA 28cfm 60mm fan on this rig before, and it twisted 5000-5146 rpm which I didn't think was too bad as far as noise (but I could hear it about 6-7 feet away when the room was quiet at night), anyway, when I switched to the BigMoFo, I couldn't believe the differance, just a slight Whoosh sound, and I have to be 2 feet or closer to hear it. Here's the neet part though, my system had been idle in Win ME for about 1 hour when I shut it down to do the conversion and the temp was 38 C. It took me 30 min. to break everything down (had to unplug everything and lay the MoBo on the table to get the old HSF off the CPU, seems like it took about 10,000lbs of torch to get the spring unhooked from the ZIF socket as that heatsink was a double spring doobie made for a Socket-A chip and pushed HARD against a row of capacitors right next to the ZIF socket because it was slightly oversized for a K6 so I had to be careful not to slip and screw something up). When I put the BigMoFo on, A WALK IN THE PARK. It just snaps right on, you don't have to fight the damn thing like some of them. I put everything back together and fired it up, let it sit idle in Win Me for 1 hour, then took it's temp, 36 C (NO Rain, CPIce, CPUCool or any software cooler was used). A 2 degree C drop in temp, not bad for a room temp of 28 C ambient, and I don't have any noise to contend with either. There's better air cooled HSF setups out there that I have read about but this was easy, quick to install, and was an improvement over what I had, and QUIET.<br><br>____________________<br>a.k.a. Desert Dog<br>From the Arizona Desert<br><br>Where seldom is heard, a discouraging word,<br>unless you connect @ 24000 all day.<br><br>--------------------<br>AMD K6-III 450+ o/c to 550 @ 2.0 Vcore<br>Tyan S1590S AT100<br>Award BIOS 162005096 1998<br>V90W116c Flash<br>V90j116c Over Flash<br>3DFX BigMoFo HSF w\80mm Sunon Fan<br>3DFX Case80HO 80mm Sunon front Fan<br>Arctic Silver Thermal Compound<br>256MB Crucial CL2 PC100<br>Promise Ultra100 IDE Controller<br>WD 300BB 30GB ATA-100/7200 (SI-Soft = 21985)<br>Radeon VE 32MB DDR (not a gamers card, 3DMark2000 = 1250)<br>U.S.Robotics 56K Win Int 1125-04 R:2<br>SB Live X-Gamer<br>USB Scanner/Printer/Optical mouse<br>Belkin 4 port USB hub<br>Windows Millennium (most excellent)<br><br>K6-er since 5/4/99<br>____________________ <p></p><i></i>