Cut Scenes Stutter

Discussion relating to Socket 7 hardware.
BENCHMARKMAN
K6'er

Cut Scenes Stutter

Post by BENCHMARKMAN »

Ever since I got my new computer with the Radeon 8500 the cut scenes in all my games have been stuttering. The games include Command & Conquer Renegade, Armada 2, and Yuris Revenge. I have contacted HP Support, Activision support, and Westwood support and all say it is the Radeon 8500. I posted this question at Rage3d but nobody else with a radeon was having this problem. I have tried increasing the Read Ahead cache on both CD drives and this didn't help. During the cut scenes their is a little hdd activity but not a whole lot. Also it doesn't matter whether I have the CD in my DVD drive or CD Burner. Any ideas? <p></p><i></i>
io333
K6'er Elite

Re: Cut Scenes Stutter

Post by io333 »

are you using via busmaster ide driver? if so, GET RID OF IT. <p></p><i></i>
BENCHMARKMAN
K6'er

Post by BENCHMARKMAN »

I'm not sure. I know that I never installed it. I'm not even sure if my mobo uses it since it is a AMD/Via chipset. I know that it does use part of the 4 in 1 drivers but not the AGP driver because you have to use the AMD driver for that. I will take a look into this. Thanks <p>Asus A7M266<BR>. T-bird @ 1.33ghz<BR>. 256mb PC2100 DDR <BR>. Ati Radeon 750 @ 290/230<BR>. Windows Xp</p><i></i>
BENCHMARKMAN
K6'er

Post by BENCHMARKMAN »

I checked. Im not using the via driver. <p>Asus A7M266<BR>. T-bird @ 1.33ghz<BR>. 256mb PC2100 DDR <BR>. Ati Radeon 750 @ 290/230<BR>. Windows Xp</p><i></i>
io333
K6'er Elite

Post by io333 »

then you are using the "standard dual PCI IDE controller?"<br><br><br>-- which is the one you should be using. if you are using anything that says "busmaster" in it, it is contributing (or the cause of) your problem.<br><br><br>XP by default installs a via busmaster driver, though it may call it something else. if so, you need to get rid of that. <p></p><i></i>
io333
K6'er Elite

Post by io333 »

also, is DMA enabled for the cd-rom drive? <p></p><i></i>
BENCHMARKMAN
K6'er

Post by BENCHMARKMAN »

I've got something that says Via Bus master IDE Controller and the driver is provided by Microsft. Any Specail way of uninstalling it or will just hitting unistall from device manger do the trick? <p>Asus A7M266<BR>. T-bird @ 1.33ghz<BR>. 256mb PC2100 DDR <BR>. Ati Radeon 750 @ 290/230<BR>. Windows Xp</p><i></i>
io333
K6'er Elite

Post by io333 »

get into the device manager & tell it to "update driver", tell it you don't want the driver selected automatically you want to select the driver from a list, and then select "Standard Dual PCI IDE Driver." <br><br>For whatever reason sometimes it doesn't take, and you have to redo it.<br><br>Then, you may have to play around with your DMA settings a few times to make sure DMA is turned on for all the drives you need it to be on for. Sometimes you have to turn DMA off for all the drives and then reenable it one by one in different combinations before DMA works right for all the drives. I've even had to swap my drives around on the various controllers & master/slave configurations to get DMA to work. <br><br>But when you finally get the Standard Driver installed correctly, nothing can touch it. You'll find your benchmarks improve considerably too. <p></p><i></i>
io333
K6'er Elite

Post by io333 »

...and if you are still having problems, then install the via latency patch version 1.4, or version 1.0 depending on how lucky you feel, available here:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.viahardware.com/download/via ... <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><br><br>those "george's patches" are officially endorced by via and the 0.09 patch (an earlier version) is still on my system and finally cured all remaining issues with my board.<br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
io333
K6'er Elite

Post by io333 »

edit. the patch version numbers i think are 0.14 and 0.1<br><br><br><br>same difference <p></p><i></i>
BENCHMARKMAN
K6'er

Post by BENCHMARKMAN »

I tried and still stutters. I looked at the stuttering closer and see that its just the sound stuttering not the video. So I downloaded the updated drivers for my sound card, VIA AC'97, and this didn't help any either. Any other ideas? <p>Asus A7M266<BR>. T-bird @ 1.33ghz<BR>. 256mb PC2100 DDR <BR>. Ati Radeon 750 @ 290/230<BR>. Windows Xp</p><i></i>
io333
K6'er Elite

Post by io333 »

OK, now we have to start getting to the nitty gritty. <br><br>We need some more info first. Go into the device manager and go to the menu: View resources by type/IRQ and then post here what your IRQs are for each device.<br><br>Then also list here every PCI card you have.<br><br><br>While you are waiting for my reply, try pulling all PCI cards you have except the sound card & see what that does.<br><br>Try disabling USB in the device manager & see if that helps too.<br><br>Also, does the sound only stutter when there is disk access, or can you otherwise pin down EXACTLY when the sound stutters.<br><br>Your sound card is an absolute POS, but it *can* be made to work. Never give up hope.<br><br><br>Hey, wait a second, you HAVE tried moving the card to all the other PCI slots, right? <p></p><i></i>
BENCHMARKMAN
K6'er

Post by BENCHMARKMAN »

0 System Timer<br>1 PS2 Keyboard<br>3 Com3<br>4 Com2<br>6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller<br>8 System Cmos/real time clock<br>11 Microsoft ACPI Compliant System<br>12 Motherboard Resources<br>13 Numberic data processor<br>14 Primary IDE controller<br>16 Scondary IDE Controller<br>9 Via Revision 5 or latter USB Universal host controller<br>9 Via Revision 5 or latter USB Universal host controller(yes its their twice)<br>10 Via AC'97 Audio Controller<br>16 Ati Radeon 8500<br>17 Realtek Fast Eathernet NIC<br><br>I don't have any PCI cards installed. <br><br>I'm using a USB MS Optical Mouse and HP Photosmart on the USB ports so I can't turn off USB.<br><br>I guess I should have kept my Sound Blaster Live from my other computer.<br><br> <p>Asus A7M266<BR>. T-bird @ 1.33ghz<BR>. 256mb PC2100 DDR <BR>. Ati Radeon 750 @ 290/230<BR>. Windows Xp</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub70.ezboard.com/ubenchmarkman. ... MARKMAN</A> at: 4/7/02 11:50:04 am<br></i>
io333
K6'er Elite

Post by io333 »

Wow. I wish my IRQs were as nice as yours are. Definitely no problem there.<br><br><br>Well, I'm about out of ideas at this point. If I were in your situation, this is what I would do:<br><br>First, I'd format the dern hard drive and install WinXP clean. Then turn off all the BS (instant messanger, auto updates, system restore, etc.). Then switch to the standard Dual PCI IDE controller. Then install the latest ATI non-beta driver. Then INSTALL NO OTHER DRIVERS. Then install the game that stutters.<br><br>If it still stuttered then, I would get a sound card not made by creative, as creative cards are as bad as AC97 cards with hogging the bus and having crackle/stutter problems. I'd probably pick a phillips card.<br><br>good luck! <p></p><i></i>
io333
K6'er Elite

Post by io333 »

Oh, i forgot:<br><br>if after the clean install it still has problems, i would last of all install the "george's patch" before buying a sound card. <p></p><i></i>