overclocking stability help

Discuss software and how to tweak more performance out of your system.
darbykidd
Newbie K6'er

overclocking stability help

Post by darbykidd »

I've been trying to overclock my system and haven't had very good results in stability so far. I'm just hoping I can get some tips from you guys. <br>Here are my system specs. <br>amd k6-3+450 (Thermoengine heat sink)<br>epox mvp3g5 with 10/26/01 bios<br>384 meg pc 133 ram<br>win 98se<br>gainward geforce 2 ti/450<br>maxtor 40 gig hd<br><br>Some history:<br>I am using CPUcool as my overclocking (and cooling) program. At 2.0 volts the system is stable at 560 (112x5), but would freeze up at 600 immediately. I increased voltage to 2.1 (interestingly, i have two sensor programs and each say that vcore voltage is .04-.05 volts less than setting so I don't know if they are very accurate or what) I could do Sandra benchmarks at 600, but it would crash to desktop every time I tried to run 3dmark 2000 and 2001. I bumped it up to 2.2 volts (current setting) and it would start to run 3dmark 2000 but crash to desktop at same point in first test. Internet explorer also seems to be instable, sometimes locking up at 600. I don't think heat is the problem (unless sensor programs are wrong). It doesn't seem to be more than about 1 C above what it is at 2.0 volts, which is about 26-28 C at idle and 35-38 at high load, although I haven't been able to do many benchmarks, just sandra. I also tried k6speed, instead of CPUCOOL to overclock. same results. Any tips to increase stability would be appreciated. I know these chips with this motherboard are capable of beyond 600 so I should be able to get up TO 600 right? thanks for the help.<br> <p></p><i></i>
georgep1
Veteran K6'er

Re: ocing

Post by georgep1 »

It could be the chip. I've had 3 K6-III+ 450s. Two could do 618, and one couldn't get over 570 MHz (actually 5.5x103). Your temp under load may be a little high, but that probably isn't the problem. <p></p><i></i>
E-Machines T6000 (AMD64 3200+) (Don't laugh! It absolutely rocks!)
GigaByte K7N400 Pro2, 3200+, 1 GB DDR, 80 GB WD SE
Epox MVPG5, K6-III+@550, 384 SDRAM, 80 GB WD SE
TX97-XE, K6-III+@400, 256 SDRAM, 40 GB WD HD
darbykidd
Newbie K6'er

Re: ocing

Post by darbykidd »

Ok, yeah maybe i just got a under performing chip. I've had this for 2 years and am just now trying to oc it. I thought the temp max on these chips was like 80 C.?? Is it possible that something else is getting to hot. I just the ran the "burn in wizard" on Sandra and it completed fine. The temp never got above 39 C while doing it. Any other suggestions? <p></p><i></i>
jwhickman
Junior K6'er

If you haven't done this...

Post by jwhickman »

Try disabling the onboard L2 (used now as L3) cache; start at 2.0V again (or lower if your mobo has it available) and retest. Benchmark w/ the L3 on and off; my system ran better w/ it off anyway.<br> My Asus P5A-B w/ K6-2+ 450 wouldn't OC stably w/ fsb >100 until I disabled the L3; now it runs 115fsb @ 2.0V all the time.<br> <p></p><i></i>
darbykidd
Newbie K6'er

If you haven't done this...

Post by darbykidd »

Ok, yeah I've heard of doing that to increase stability. I've also heard that even though you maybe able to run at a higher speed, your performance won't be near as good because that cache is so important. But I'll try it and see. <br>On an unrelated note, does anyone know if it is too late to "burn in" a chip if its been going for two years? I've read that if you do this burn in, it helps the chip become more stable, but I don't know if its worth it since I've had it running for 2 years now although not continuously running burn-in programs. Can anyone tell me if I'm wasting my time doing that or not? And if not, what method you'd reccomend for the burn-in. thanks. <p></p><i></i>
blue
Site Admin

hmm

Post by blue »

you sent me a PM but I could not reply to it becuase you have PMs disabled, anyways drop down to 300mhz, up your voltage to about 2.4v or higher, download winamp, and sissoft sandra.<br>Start winamp and turn on the AVS and just let it run, now start sandra and click on the burn in thing and have it loop over and over.<br>leave your computer running for 2-3 or more days. <p></p><i></i>
p3 1ghz laptop
geforce2 go
256mb ram
darbykidd
Newbie K6'er

Re: hmmm

Post by darbykidd »

Hi. thanks for replying. I'm hoping that if it worked for you it will work for me. I'm assuming that after 2-3 days I drop the voltage back down to 2.0 and see what speed I can do and then go from there. <br>Does it matter what mp3 software I use? I've been using Real One player on a loop. I didn't know if that uses the processor any different than Winamp. I also have "cpu burn-in" and "Toast" going along with "Sandra" in different combinations 24/7 for the last couple days, but I've only been at 2.0 volts at 200 mhz. <br><br>I'll follow your recommendations. thanks for the help <p></p><i></i>
blue
Site Admin

uh

Post by blue »

the reason I say to use winamp is not for its mp3 action but for its AVS witch is very CPU active(that and you should use it becuase real sucks a$$) Run more then one program at a time so you get all the parts of the cpu<br>yes after a few days back the voltage down. <p></p><i></i>
p3 1ghz laptop
geforce2 go
256mb ram