file recovery after fdisk

Off topic chat and stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere.
rdrdr
Newbie K6'er

file recovery after fdisk

Post by rdrdr »

I accedently removed and repartitioned a hard drive while working on a friends computer and would like to know if anyone knows how to recover the lost files. I feel realy bad and would like to do all I can to fix it :oops:

Post by Guest »

I hate to tell you this, but I think the files are pretty much gone...

There are a few utilities out there that can unformat or undelete, but after you get rid of the partition I think its totally gone. You could sdpend hundreds or thousands of dollars sending the drive to a data recovery SPAM, but its probably not worth it... :(
DasMan2

Post by DasMan2 »

Try sarching Google on data recovery.

Some Ebay postings have some special TECH disks with programs to recover such "mess-ups" ...it is worth a look.
rdrdr
Newbie K6'er

Post by rdrdr »

I found a utility called r-studio and it actually works. I downloaded the demo and could recover alot of the files. But nothing bigger than 64k since it was the demo. The full version has a bigger limit on file size. This is amazing because not only did I delete the primary partition I created a new one before I realised I screwed up. Makes you wonder what you have to do to make data unretrievable.
punkrawker82
Senior K6'er

Post by punkrawker82 »

that's quite an impressive program. Are you going to buy the full version??

I heard you'd have to take a hard drive and drill 5 big holes straight through it just to start to make it unrecoverable...Think I saw that on the Discovery Channel a while back on their "New Detectives" show talking about data recovery.
Past System
----------
Asus P5A-B rev1.05(Beta BIOS 1011.005)
AMD K6-2/CXT AFX @ 500Mhz(CPUCool 5 x 100)
128Mb PC100 SDRAM
VisionTek GeForce 4 MX 440 4x AGP @2x w/ 64Mb DDR
Creative Ensoniq PCI Sound Card
ADS Turbo Quad 4 Port USB PCI Card
Linksys NC100 v2 NIC
Western Digital 8Mb Cache SE 80Gb HD
Lite-On 52x32x52 CDR/RW
Lite-On 16x48 DVD

Current
----------
Athlon XP-A(Barton) 2600+ @ 1.91Ghz
Abit NF7-S v2.0
512Mb Kingston 3200 DDR(2.5-3-3-7)
VisionTek GeForce 4 MX 440 4x AGP w/ 64Mb DDR
chevyt98
Senior K6'er

lost data

Post by chevyt98 »

It might be too late but u can try a program called
GetDataBack by Runtime Software

Regards Chevy
carlcoconut
Newbie K6'er

Post by carlcoconut »

if you just fdisk'ed and didn't create file systems or format the partitions then you can write a new partition table with the info about the old partitions. I just did this under linux. there are some very good linux programs that can handle this...

fdisk in fact just changes the partition table and not the data on the disk, so you can rewrite it with fdisk as many times as you want before the data gets lost, you just shouldn't use the new partitions...
spirits247
Senior K6'er

Post by spirits247 »

What carlcoconut said was true. If you only changed the partition info and didn't FULL format (ie used format -q) it would have been possible to recover without special tools simply by re-entering the old partition info.

Since this thread is totally old however, carlcoconut was like late with that fine advice to the max. Still, there's some info for next time you accidentally????? delete and repartition without proper planning. :oops: :oops: :shock: :roll:
K6 Preacher Baby! Come K6 brothers sing a K6 hymn