k6 II+ at 601mhz

Discussion relating to Socket 7 hardware.
dusty1
Newbie K6'er

k6 II+ at 601mhz

Post by dusty1 »

Hello all,
This was my first overclock and fortunatly with an amd k6 II+ 550 because they run notoriously cool and stable at overclock. I've heard this is due too amd k6 +'s are all the same, just labeled differently. I don't know if it's true, that's what I've heard. I run mine at 2.1v 100.2 fsb with total stability and it barely gets over room temp with an oem heatsink and fan. It's a shame socket 7 never got past 550 or III+ 450. Perhaps an adapter could be made from socket 7 to 370 or onto a pci card? Anyhow, nice to find a site with others doing the same. One tip I have is to use powerleaps upgrade finder just to check clock speeds, cpu family, mobo info ect. I found powertweak to be an excellent program to enable all k 6+ functions and it also optimizes all chip sets on the mobo. I went from a 250cyrix, 128ram, tiny 2.1 gig hard drive too a 20.4 7200 hard drive, 256ram and obviously k6 II+ at 601mhz. So, this system showed drastic speed improvement. It used to take an hour to defrag, now 4 minutes. Anyhow, nice to be here.
tazwegion
Veteran K6'er

Post by tazwegion »

Well good for you... Ocing's fun isn't it? welcome to the forum :)

I wonder seeing as you got a K62+ 550@601, I wonder how high it would go... as I've got a K62500 (non-plus) @ 600Mhz with a little work... and you've got 50Mhz & extra cache on me :)

If you ever experiment... please be sure to post your findings :wink:
samuraiboy
Junior K6'er

Post by samuraiboy »

what HSF are you using to overclock? can i use a duron/athlon stock HSF to my k6-3-2+?
tazwegion
Veteran K6'er

Post by tazwegion »

Yeah... you can use a stock duron/athlon HsF, may want to upgrade the 60mm though... they only flow about 21+ cfm (Y.S. tech make higher flow TMD's) but being a stubborn old goat, I just stacked an extra fan on top with an old 60mm case between (clearance)... works fine. :)

Having said that, I've had the best results using a socket 370 aftermarket cooler w/ upgraded 80mm & lapped H/sink. :)
samuraiboy
Junior K6'er

Post by samuraiboy »

arent there any problems putting a stock duron/athlon HSF into a socket 7 slot... can i use that HSF to overclock my k6-2+ 500 to 600 mhz? im using a stuborn HSF and my systems not stable at 550mhz...
jsc1973
Veteran K6'er

Post by jsc1973 »

Socket A, Socket 370 and Socket 7 are all about the same size, and a cooler that will work for one, often works on all three. And yes, you can always upgrade the fans if you find that the stock one doesn't push enough CFM's for your cooling needs.

Dusty, the reason that AMD never pushed the K6-x series past 550 MHz is that you're getting close to the design's limit when you get to 550. People have gotten K6-plus chips to around 700 MHz, but there's no way to consistently produce chips at those levels. The K6 architecture just won't allow it.

Socket 7 and Socket 370 are not compatible with one another. Socket 7 uses the original Pentium bus protocol, with the speed increased for 100 MHz for the K6-x series. Socket 370 chips must be able to communicate using the Intel GTL+ protocol, which is very different. So adapting one design to the other isn't really feasible.
DasMan2

Post by DasMan2 »

jsc1973 wrote:Socket A, Socket 370 and Socket 7 are all about the same size, and a cooler that will work for one, often works on all three. And yes, you can always upgrade the fans if you find that the stock one doesn't push enough CFM's for your cooling needs.

Dusty, the reason that AMD never pushed the K6-x series past 550 MHz is that you're getting close to the design's limit when you get to 550. People have gotten K6-plus chips to around 700 MHz, but there's no way to consistently produce chips at those levels. The K6 architecture just won't allow it.

Socket 7 and Socket 370 are not compatible with one another. Socket 7 uses the original Pentium bus protocol, with the speed increased for 100 MHz for the K6-x series. Socket 370 chips must be able to communicate using the Intel GTL+ protocol, which is very different. So adapting one design to the other isn't really feasible.
Nice points brought up here. AMD 3D Now programming may help boost performance if someone would do more of it.

Post by Guest »

Actually, the K6 architecture should go a bit higher if AMD really wanted it to, on .18.

They hit 550 on .25 with a heck of a lot of effort, and normally you can come close to doubling the clock speed when you shrink it, if you make an equal effort to reduce the speed path areas. Of course, the 550 was crazy high for .25 K6, and AMD didn't give a damn about the K6s at .18 so it wasn't something they were going to waste much time on. The design wasn't going to reach the same clock speeds as the P6 architecture, and they had the Athlon, which had better chipset support too.

They could have gone higher, by a lot, but it just didn't make too much sense to waste the effort on obsolete technology. To my knowledge, the k6 is the only processor made that didn't go up in clock speed with a shrink. A dubious distinction.
samuraiboy
Junior K6'er

Post by samuraiboy »

hi!!! i am using a k6-2+ 500 oc'ed at 550... im using a glacial tech HSF for duron/athlon... i tried to OC at 600 but my system just shuts down... how can i get it to OC at 600? any ideas? im planning to use artic silver adhesive...
Jim
K6'er Elite

Post by Jim »

Removed
Last edited by Jim on Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
DasMan2

Post by DasMan2 »

I have still 3 Super 7 M.B.'s that will do 600 Mhz stable with all 6 different AMD K6-2/III 450"+" CPU's I had tested in them.

Used several different Hard Drives and Video cards and even memory sticks, really comes down to the M.B. used and some BIOS tweaking.

Gigabyte GA-5AX rev 5.2 [ALi chipset] (ATX) 600 rock stable
DFI P5BV3+ [VIA chipset] (AT) 600 rock stable
Epox MVP3C [VIA chipset] (AT) 600 stable
Each of those had a AGP video card on the internet playing well .

Also ASUS P/I P55 T2P4 rev 3.1 (AT) @ 500
ASUS TX97-E Rev 1.11 (AT) @ 500

Really a new ALL- AMD (Dual) Type motherboard with built on 8 port router and 2 Gig Flash memory /AGP 8 X slot/PCI-X / Built-in ethernet/ Sound/ SATA II etc. in a Mini-ATX format would be a good over-all utility machine,good basic server or firewall/router drone all-in-one sellable to the basic Family or third world for cheap.

All AMD is important to make the Coin.

Coupled with the ALL-AMD New Super Duper Socket 7 design with a allowance for a new 9 nm Die shrink multi-core 1 mb on-die cache CPU backward compatible to Super 7 M.B.'s now that would be great stuff. 32/64 bit CPU
CPU Multiplier re-mapped as 1x=6 2x=10 3X=15 4x=20 5x= 25 6x= 30 allowing for 3.5 Ghz or running in theory ,even 2 Ghz would be great.

Even a basic die shrink of the 18 nm model to 9 nm with re-mapping would be used and sellable today and untouchable by Int*ll or even VIA/Cyrix as an after-market CPU.

People still buy the "PLUS" series of CPU's for $50 and up and AMD could make money off of the newer ones at $50 + US.

Just my opinion of course .. 8)
tazwegion
Veteran K6'er

Post by tazwegion »

samuraiboy wrote:hi!!! i am using a k6-2+ 500 oc'ed at 550... im using a glacial tech HSF for duron/athlon... i tried to OC at 600 but my system just shuts down... how can i get it to OC at 600? any ideas? im planning to use artic silver adhesive...
Gotta' De-cap that processor :twisted: I never posted @ 600 till I did that... the aluminium heat-spreader is a terribly inefficient design :wink:

Upping the V-core helped to add further to stability... as did HUGE cooling/case fans etc. additionally a ducting mod :D

Don't use the adhesive!... from what I'm told it's permanent, go with the AS5 or similar :) remember heat is the enemy especially when overclocking :wink:
Sandells
K6'er

Post by Sandells »

DasMan2 wrote:Really a new ALL- AMD (Dual) Type motherboard with built on 8 port router and 2 Gig Flash memory /AGP 8 X slot/PCI-X / Built-in ethernet/ Sound/ SATA II etc. in a Mini-ATX format would be a good over-all utility machine,good basic server or firewall/router drone all-in-one sellable to the basic Family or third world for cheap.

All AMD is important to make the Coin.

Coupled with the ALL-AMD New Super Duper Socket 7 design with a allowance for a new 9 nm Die shrink multi-core 1 mb on-die cache CPU backward compatible to Super 7 M.B.'s now that would be great stuff. 32/64 bit CPU
CPU Multiplier re-mapped as 1x=6 2x=10 3X=15 4x=20 5x= 25 6x= 30 allowing for 3.5 Ghz or running in theory ,even 2 Ghz would be great.

Even a basic die shrink of the 18 nm model to 9 nm with re-mapping would be used and sellable today and untouchable by Int*ll or even VIA/Cyrix as an after-market CPU.

People still buy the "PLUS" series of CPU's for $50 and up and AMD could make money off of the newer ones at $50 + US.

Just my opinion of course .. 8)
I agree Dasman2, the K6+ cpu's could perform much better if they were given a new chipset that supported higher FSB's and DDR RAM. All we need is some third-party to design some sample SS7 motherboards with newer technology intergrated into them and then us K6 diehard fans could test them for performance and stability and then leave feedback. Hell, if there was a new SS7 motherboard and chipset today, I'd buy it.

Steve
tazwegion
Veteran K6'er

Post by tazwegion »

Sorry Steve to be the bearer of bad tidings... realistically though it's a bit of a pipe dream, as there's not enough of 'us' die-hard K6 'bretheren' to make such a proposition financially viable for either the motherboard manufacturers or chipset producers to invest their cash :(

However if somehow, someone made a bridging socket ie SS7 to Skt A... I also would be totally 'interested' :twisted:
Yeah, strangely enough... a K62/3 plus processor will fetch more AUD than a similar speed Duron locally... that's die-hards for ya' :2ar15
punkrawker82
Senior K6'er

Post by punkrawker82 »

If someone could make something like that, it'd be great...but then would the host mobo's chipset have support...probably not.

Yes, its a "pipe dream"
Past System
----------
Asus P5A-B rev1.05(Beta BIOS 1011.005)
AMD K6-2/CXT AFX @ 500Mhz(CPUCool 5 x 100)
128Mb PC100 SDRAM
VisionTek GeForce 4 MX 440 4x AGP @2x w/ 64Mb DDR
Creative Ensoniq PCI Sound Card
ADS Turbo Quad 4 Port USB PCI Card
Linksys NC100 v2 NIC
Western Digital 8Mb Cache SE 80Gb HD
Lite-On 52x32x52 CDR/RW
Lite-On 16x48 DVD

Current
----------
Athlon XP-A(Barton) 2600+ @ 1.91Ghz
Abit NF7-S v2.0