Socket 7 Boards

Discussion relating to Socket 7 hardware.
jsbach
Newbie K6'er

Socket 7 Boards

Post by jsbach »

I found many Socket 7 boards in a garage sale, and here's some old boards I saw there: (well I need a board to fit in my faithful 166MMX and some sticks of EDO RAM)

1.) Asus SP97-V

2.) Asus TX97-E (or its variants)

And will an old Cyrix MII do well with a Linux firewall/router? :D

Sorry for being such a newbie, and also, I couldn't change my login password - is it fixed? :D
DasMan2

Post by DasMan2 »

TX97-E , take the 2.0 revision board , its a good one and has onboard 3 pin fan headers that are BIOS supported with RPM readouts and also readouts for the Core Voltage . :) good stuff .

The board itself responds very well to a AMD K6-2 450 + cpu and performs very snappy in Win 98 S/E even thoguh there is no AGP slot.
talatalan
Newbie K6'er

Re: Socket 7 Boards

Post by talatalan »

jsbach wrote: And will an old Cyrix MII do well with a Linux firewall/router? :D
In case you still follow this thread: Yes, the Cyrix MII will make a good Linux firewall/router. Even a fast i486DX will do that for a small private LAN. The main disadvantage of the Cyrix MII was its weak FPU (which does not matter for this appliance), but its integer performance per clock was good. Linux distributions usually have a good support for the special features of this CPU core (such as memory access strategies and power saving mode), unlike WinNT/Win2K/WinXP. Just make sure you don't get one of the super-modern optimized distributions, which might lack this support. Maybe Debian?

I still have a MII PR333 (not in use however) in the IBM flavor. This one came with a dark-grey ceramic heatspreader on the flip-chip package. Very nice one. :-) It was running on the Tyan s1598c2 (see sig below) before I got the K6-III and originally was a replacement for a Pentium 90 on an older socket 7 board. With SDRAM, 83 MHz FSB and 2 MB onboard cache it was quite fast. :-)

Regards

Alex
'Dietrich': Athlon64 3200+, 1GB DDR-SDRAM, Uniwill MB w/ SiS755, ATI Mob. Radeon 9700
'Hicks': 2x Athlon XP 2400+, 1.5 GB DDR-SDRAM, MSI K7D Master-L w/ AMD 762, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
'Ripley': 2x Intel PIII 1 GHz, 1 GB SDRAM, Tyan s1832DL w/ i440BX, ATI Rage 128 Pro
'Hudson': AMD K6-III 400/100, 640 MB SDRAM, Tyan s1598c2 w/ VIA MVP3, ATI Radeon 9000 AIW
'Frost': AMD K6-2+ 450/75, 256 MB SDRAM, Soyo 5XAE5 w/ i430TX, ATI Mach64