SiS530 @133MHz (GA-5SMM/Soyo 5SSM) setup, benching, tweaking

Discussion relating to Socket 7 hardware.
Witte
Newbie K6'er

Post by Witte »

No luck with disabling the L2 cache.

I got stuck with Gigabyte and ASUS boards based on the Alladin 5 chipset and I found 8ns tagram too, I don't think we'll ever find faster tagram which is pin compatible. Then again, I don't believe the tagram is holding me back, 125MHz (8ns) to 133MHz is 'only' 8MHz higher while I have the tagram overvolted to over 4V (standard is 3.3V). It should be doable. Just to be sure I could electronically cut of the tagram chip, but at this moment I'm rather thinking that the 5V line could be of a problem.

From the SIS530 datasheet:
9.2 DC CHARACTERISTICS
TA = 0 - 70 0C, VDD = 3.3 V ± 5 %, VDD 5= 5 V ± 5 %,GND = 0 V
4.7. POWER SIGNALS
NAME TYPE ATTR DESCRIPTION
DVDD PWR +3.3V DC Power Source :
OVDD3 PWR +3.3V DC Power Source :
OVDD2 PWR +3.3V/2.5V DC Power Source:
5VDD PWR 5V DC Power Source :

One of the filtering caps just next to the tagram chip reads 5V, I'm going to open up my adjustable PSU again and add 5V line regulation before actually trying to remove the tagram chip.

Concerning enable/disable the VGA, what about the following register settings:

Code: Select all

SR11: EXTENDED DDC AND POWER CONTROL REGISTER
Register Type: Read/Write
Read/Write Port: 3C5, Index 11h
Default: 00h
D7 Force VGA into suspend mode
0: Disable
1: Enable
D6 Force VGA into standby mode
Although the following register setting might have more effect:

VGA ENABLE REGISTER
Register Type: Read/Write
Read/Write Port: 3C3 or 46E8
Default: 00h
D0 VGA Enable (for 3C3 only)
D3 VGA Enable (for 46E8 only)
Another interesting note:

The integrated 3D VGA controller has built-in two timers for stand-by and suspend modes
that can be programmed from 2 minutes to 30 minutes (2 min./increase) with the extended
registers.
The integrated 3D VGA controller also supports forcing the video subsystem into stand-by,
suspend, or off modes with the extended registers.
More:

HARDWARE TRAPPING DESCRIPTION
There are some pins are used for trapping purpose to identify the hardware configurations at
the power-up stage. These pins will be recognized as “1” if pull-up resistors are used; and will
be recognized as “0” if pull-down resistors are used. The following table is a summary of all
the Hardware Trap pins in SiS Chip.

SYMBOL DESCRIPTION
Symbol: MD62 Function: Control for Integrated VGA Controller
Pull-up: Disable
Pull-down: Enable
On other boards, if you disable the onboard VGA, do you use the BIOS setting or a jumper?
DonPedro
K6'er Elite

Post by DonPedro »

from all my sis530 boards only the asus p5s-vm board features a jumper to deactivate the onboard vga. none of the boards offer disabling vga via bios, they only allow setting the amount of ram used and/or selecting which irq should be used.
Witte
Newbie K6'er

Post by Witte »

Since there will be pull-up/-down resistors needed in order to set the correct binary status for those trapping pins it might be just possible to find a spot on the mainboard where we can add a VGA-enable jumper.

Without circuit drawings we will never find it though, to many resistors around the chipset, maybe if somebody got a dead board where we can experiment around with...
Witte
Newbie K6'er

Post by Witte »

Altering +5V voltage no big succes yet, disabled the tagram by disconnecting the ground pin but that did not help either. More test results later :wink:
Stedman5040
Veteran K6'er

Post by Stedman5040 »

Witte,

It seems odd to me that you cannot get 133MHz fsb and can only get as far as 112fsb on your GA-5SMM board. What processors have you tried. In my set up I have successfully clocked K6plus processors to 133fsb with no problems at all with the external cache disabled and the onboard vga disabled. The only problems I have had with 133 bus speed is with certain types of PC133 memory where board refuses to boot and beeps loudly at me.

Stedman :?
Witte
Newbie K6'er

Post by Witte »

124MHz works too, 133MHz boots but not stable.

I have Pentium MMX 166 and 200 MHz. Both 166MHz versions I have here can do 300MHz on this board, 133x2 (266MHz) is no go but 124x2 works too. The memory is 133MHz CAS 2 rated and I know it can do 150MHz for sure (with increased voltages). Also have K6-2 to test with. CPU is not the problem I guess, neither is it the memory although at 133MHz I'm get memtest errors like crazy. I did play with latency settings, no better. It's not a heating problem either. What's left? :)

Stedman, you have the ASUS board right, when you have the VGA enabled, what voltages do you find at the VGA-enable jumper, referred to ground? Do you know how to handle a multimeter (sorry, haven't read to many posts here so can't really tell what person lies behind your nickname :))
Stedman5040
Veteran K6'er

Post by Stedman5040 »

Witte,

I have tried a P200MMX cpu using 133fsb and have never managed to boot it at this frequency. Seems Ok at 100fsb. I do not have the ASUS SIS board. I only have the Gigabyte version. I do have a selection of other SS7 boards but only the Gigabyte board has the 1/4 divider for 133 operation.

My northbridge chip does get a little warmish at 133 so I cool it down with a small chipset cooler fan. I have no problems with stability at all with a K6plus chip operating up to 600Mhz. I can run up to 630MHz with my K6-III+/450ACZ at 2.0v using 105 bus. I have never managed to boot at 667 with any of the cpu's I have.

Yes I do have a multimeter.

Stedman
Witte
Newbie K6'er

Post by Witte »

You have the Gigabyte board? GA-5SMM? How did you disable the onboard VGA? Maybe you ment 'unused', meaning you use a PCI videocard. Well, so have I. Will give the K6 another shot but I think I already tried that one.

Has anyone found a registry setting which reads/writes the Host/PCI devider?
Jim
K6'er Elite

Post by Jim »

I think Don Pedro posted a WPCredit PCRfile for that chipset in the downloads section. WPCredit allows you to access all the chipset settings.
Superpuppy 3
K6-3+ 450 ACZ (6x100)
DFI K6BV3+/66 Rev B2 (2 Meg) w/ 2x28mm Chipset Fans
2x256 Meg PC 133 Hynix SDRAM
1x 20G Maxtor (7200)
2x 80G Maxtor (7200) Ducted w/ 2x486 Fans Mount
52/24/52/16 LG CDR/RW/DVD
8/4/3/12/24/16/32 LG Super Multi
ATI 9000 aiw Radeon AGP
SB Audigy 1 MP3 Sound
CMD 649 IDE Controller
NEC USB 2 Card
Witte
Newbie K6'er

Post by Witte »

Indeed, anyone knows which registry setting to look out for?

K6 cpu doesn't make it into Windows either. At 124MHz FSB the setup can run few tasks but doesn't seem to be 100% stable, at 133MHz the memtest software instantly crashes upon start.
Stedman5040
Veteran K6'er

Post by Stedman5040 »

Have now managed to get a water cooled set up. It is a Innovatek LC system. Unfortunately I do not have the socket A clip so I am just waiting for this to arrive to try the set up on the GA 5SMM set up. I do have a Koolance CPU heatsink but it is too big to fit onto the socket 7 set up. Using the Koolance water cooled heatsink on the GA-6OXET set up I have a Pentium III-s 1400MHz runs at about 20C which usually runs at 28C on air using a Volcano7.

I will be trying for 667MHz with either a K6 2+ or 3+ as soon as the clip arrives.

Stedman :wink:
Witte
Newbie K6'er

Post by Witte »

Some superpi results using 256mb ram and Pentium 166MMX...

Sometimes the superpi results differ greatly, you can easily gain/loose few seconds by just rerunning the test. Best results were obtained after shutting down most XP services and by setting the maxmem tweak.

P5A is really fast compared to the GA5-SMM, with the GA5-SMM I'm quite satisfied I could match the performance I got when using the M590 board from PCCHIPS few months back, note that it is equipped with only half the L2 cache.
Attachments
tests.jpg
tests.jpg (111.11 KiB) Viewed 23147 times
Stedman5040
Veteran K6'er

Post by Stedman5040 »

Witte,

I agree the Aladdin V chipset memory benches are much quicker than the SIS530. However I can equal the Aladdin scores on Sandra2004 with the SIS530 chipset running at 133MHz.

I also have an Asus P5A rev 1.4 board and a rev 1.5 board. The 1.4 board works OK with the K6plus chips the rev 1.5 board not.

I have the Epox MVP3GM and G2 boards which will run at 112fsb with reasonable stability and these also bench well at 617Mhz with the K6plus chips.

By the way are you Geoffrey from Madshrimps forums?

Stedman
Witte
Newbie K6'er

Post by Witte »

Yes, that's me. Did you came across one of my testing projects? :P Drop a message if you feel like there is anything missing ;)

EDIT: yeah well, for the moment I've lost hope on getting FSB133, just installed a TEC cooler and see if I can boot at 333Mhz or higher. XP installs really take ages on these old machines :?

Just noticed ASUS P5B-B can take 1MB L2 cache and has hardware jumper to enable/disable VGA. Unfortunately it tops out at 112MHz FSB, anyone has any idea which PLL can be found on this board?
Stedman5040
Veteran K6'er

Post by Stedman5040 »

Yeah,

Just came across googling "ga 5smm overclocking". By the way the revision of my board is 1.2 and I wonder if that might the reason that you are having problems getting to 133MHz. Could it be that something has changed on the board between the two revisions that makes it difficult to get to 133MHz.

Stedman