Aladdin 7 results

Discussion relating to Socket 7 hardware.
DonPedro
K6'er Elite

Post by DonPedro »

uranium,

if the powercoloer p561a is a rebranded pc chips m583lmr (ebay auction # 160067705556 suggests so) then you may
a) may give the m583lmr's bios a try that you can download from here and
b) may expand your search for a manual with having the m583lmr in mind.

also did you read the guest's posts above about the tip to turn off onboard sound?
Jim
K6'er Elite

Post by Jim »

Re getting video cards to work w/ ALi chipsets, have often had that problem. Thing that works for me is use a PCI card, (preferably one so obscure that windows does not supply a driver for it), to load windows and get things set up. Once having done that, go into device manager and check that no driver is loaded for the video card other than the absolute minimum required to give 16 colours. If some higher level driver is present, remove the device. Then shut down and chage cards to the one you want to use; and reboot. You may have to go into the bios to enable the "Reset Configuation", (or something to that efffect), in order to remove all traces of any higher level driver that you might have had to remove. Anyway, once windoze is loaded with the absolute minimum video driver the machine should boot w/ your desired card. Loads of fun, but thats what I have to do w/ SP2 to get it to recognize the AGP Card the first time..
Superpuppy 3
K6-3+ 450 ACZ (6x100)
DFI K6BV3+/66 Rev B2 (2 Meg) w/ 2x28mm Chipset Fans
2x256 Meg PC 133 Hynix SDRAM
1x 20G Maxtor (7200)
2x 80G Maxtor (7200) Ducted w/ 2x486 Fans Mount
52/24/52/16 LG CDR/RW/DVD
8/4/3/12/24/16/32 LG Super Multi
ATI 9000 aiw Radeon AGP
SB Audigy 1 MP3 Sound
CMD 649 IDE Controller
NEC USB 2 Card
Uranium235
Senior K6'er

Post by Uranium235 »

I had to step away from the P561A for a little bit but I've still been lurking here everyday. I had already tried the suggestion to turn off the integrated sound but it didn't make any difference with the stability of this board.
The 4MB PCI video card that does work crashes the machine when the drivers are loaded. I'll have to give Jim's suggestions a shot to see if I can get it to work. I ran a few quick benchmarks with the integrated video disabled and with the PCI video in VGA mode, the results did show a good increase in performance. I'll post some results when I can.

kalabok, that would be great if you could acquire that P561A on ebay. Maybe you can find out a few tricks that I've missed.

DonPedro, I recently acquired a used Pc chips M583LMR but I haven't tried it out yet. It has an AMI BIOS which may be difficult to flash over the Award BIOS on the P561A but maybe it could be hotflashed.
lazy_kalabok

Post by lazy_kalabok »

got the m683lmr ...

next week ill try to post some benchark results for the alladin 7 chipset @ 133 mhz.
kalabok
Senior K6'er

Post by kalabok »

ok,

as i promised:

ali alladin 7 chipset @ 133fsb:

pc chips m583lmr
amd k6-2+ @600 mhz
2x 128mb apacer pc133 cl2 @ 2-?-?-?
win xp sp2 30 day test version :)

everest 2.20:

446 read
191 write
147,5 latency

hotcpu: 1225 points

sandra: 305 mmx, 290 fpu (?)

Pi 1M: 378 secs.

ok, and now the probs: ata-33 - what the hell? the bios claims udma-4, everest shows udma-2 ... and the drivers ... omfg. if somebody out there has got drivers for WIN XP ! - let me know, plz. ive got them till win 2000, but audio/modem and artx graphics refuse to work properly.
ah - is there a pcr file for the aladdin 7 chipset? u know, im too lazy, please post the link ;)

the 2-?-?-? means i cant get any information from the progs i run - nor everest, nor cpuz, even sandra shows no ram timings. i even cant tell you, if the system is running with the /4 divider ...

greetz
DonPedro
K6'er Elite

Post by DonPedro »

everest numbers: superb!

superpi 1m 378secs: surprisingly "bad"! if everest is right then it should be around 300, maybe even below.

could you post all the numbers hotcpu produces, not just the overall score?
lazy_kalabok

Post by lazy_kalabok »

seems to me there are no drivers for winxp. as artx was eaten by ati noone felt obliged to create a xp support.
nice - win xp sp2 with 600*480 and 4 bit color depth. lol. agp disabled ...

installing 98se - ill post, what happens.
DonPedro
K6'er Elite

Post by DonPedro »

good luck!
I hope we will see a complete bench-run then ... ;)
lazy_kalabok

Post by lazy_kalabok »

ok,

heres the complete hotcpu bench for the ali7 133x4,5 mhz:

Overall 1225
MetaBench to MHz ratio 2.04
Integer Instructions 192 M Instructions/s
Floating-point Instructions 73 M Instructions/s
MMX Instructions 407 M Instructions/s
3DNow! Instructions 370 M Instructions/s
Memory fillrate memcpy method 277 MB/s
Memory fillrate C++ method 274 MB/s
Memory rep movsd 277 MB/s
Memory FPU 8 bytes blocks 274 MB/s
Memory Assembly 4 bytes blocks 271 MB/s
Memory Assembly 8 bytes blocks 274 MB/s
Memory fillrate MMX 8 bytes blocks 277 MB/s
Memory fillrate MMX 16 bytes blocks 278 MB/s
Insertion Sort 8 K Items/s
Shell Sort 301 K Items/s
Merge Sort 559 K Items/s
Heap Sort 315 K Items/s
Quick Sort 1,152 K Items/s
Large Objects Sort 306 K Items/s
Fast Fourier Transformg (Standard) 524 KB/s
Fast Fourier Transformg (Optimized) 624 KB/s

the sad story about win98: all drivers worked just fine, agp 2x enabled, but! several system issues at each fsb higher than 100mhz. i dont know whats the prob, even with a pci graphic card and sound modem lan disabled i get floating point, windows protection and other errors.

as donpedro said, rerunning superpi 1M gave a better result: 4:53 mins. i assume, the difference is because i fixed the ata problem.
i sent him some other benches at 550, 600 (100x6) and 667 mhz, the m583lmr seems to be far more stable concerning overclocking. touched the 700 yesterday, but windows refuses to boot.
DonPedro
K6'er Elite

Post by DonPedro »

thanks kalabok!

I had no time to deal with the numbers you sent me but congratulations! afaik you are the very first person who reports a a s7-system scoring under 3 minutes for superpi 1M! :)

give me some more time on your data, I am currently working to get super7dudes ready for posting.

in the meantime could you get into more detail on how you solved the udma-probs with your board and also why do you say that the board is unstable with an fsb higher than 100mhz but on the other hand you say that the board seems to be a stable overclocker .... I am confused ....
lazy_kalabok

Post by lazy_kalabok »

sorry for misunderstanding,

the stability depends upon the operating system currently loaded. under win xp sp2 i could reach every fsb desired, the system was rock solid in every bench even @ 133mhz ( /4 divider, proved). as there are no drivers for artx graphics and sound i decided to give 98 a try ...

... installed and booted at 100fsb. all drivers and gimmics ok so far, a very nice system at this bus speed. but encreasing it loaded a lot of miracles and evil ghosts. boots ok, no probs, as you try to start a prog (sound, everest, iexplorer) the ghosts start to dance arround the fire shouting "illegal operation " or "floating point error". ? no hangs! no reboots, just programs refusing their job. any ideas what could be the problem? i asume - as uranium allready said - its the part of memory, the system uses for graphics. i can confirm, the more graca memory installed, the more ghosts appear.

the ata problem: lol. the solution was simple enough. as my udma-2 cdrom and the hdd were connected to the same ide channel, win xp detected both devices as ata-33. connecting them to dfferent channels solved the prob ... not without confusion for me.

"the m583lmr seems to be far more stable concerning overclocking."

i have only one system to compare with - my epox. the max speed i reached on that machine was 633 mhz with k6-2+@ 2,2V. the pc chips board booted win xp @ 683 (124x5,5) mhz k6-2+ 2,2V. seems to be a bit more stable.

and finally ... 3 min Pi1M is still a dream for me - i never reached that score, donpedro!
lazy_kalabok

Post by lazy_kalabok »

lol

there must be drivers for xp ...
Attachments
getpicture.php.jpg
getpicture.php.jpg (60.77 KiB) Viewed 11241 times
DonPedro
K6'er Elite

Post by DonPedro »

kalabok,

re "under 3 mins for superpi 1M": sorry, my fault, I meant to say "less than 300 secs for spi 1M". you still keep the record! :)

how did you get that screenshot? it is definitely not taken from a screen at 640x480x4....
Super7Dude
K6'er

Post by Super7Dude »

Just a quick question, does this Powercolor P561A board actually have a physical AGP slot? Or is the onboard graphics just connected internally by AGP 4x?

*edit* just checked ebay, no AGP slot. Bugger :( was hoping for a universal AGP 4x slot (which could take any non-pro AGP card ever made :) )
lazy_kalabok

Post by lazy_kalabok »

heres the link where i got the screenshot:

http://86.4.178.186/garoag_/viewpicture ... 04&no=4013

tried out win xp professional today - the graphic finally worked. at least a part of it - i achieved 1024x768x32bit resolution but agp is still disabled ...