Aladdin 7 results

Discussion relating to Socket 7 hardware.
lazy_kalabok

Post by lazy_kalabok »

thats strange uranium ...

i mean - it freezes even @ boot? its not because of your graphic card?
i am using two modules of 128mb pc133 cl2 apacer, single sided, they are claimed to support dual channel mode.
i had this issue only with two different ram sticks, the system boots but freezes before post message.
same effect with only one ram stick installed?
Uranium235
Senior K6'er

Post by Uranium235 »

Last night I tried one single stick of Crucial PC133 128MB. The machine is better but still not stable. I finally got the machine to boot up at the 133 FSB but it freezes shortly after Memtest86 initializes. The 133 FSB feels really fast. :) I can run Memtest continuosly now at the 124 FSB but errors still pile up.
I bought another PCI card off Ebay, a PNY Geforce2 MX400 that is supposed to be compatible with older K6 machines. We'll see if that works out better.
Maybe this board is picky about RAM too. I might look into getting some Apacer RAM. What chips are on your RAM? Are they Infineon?
lazy_kalabok

Post by lazy_kalabok »

no, uranium,

that are winbond chips on my apacer modules. if you want i can send you the exact part number ... but im confused, the system isnt stable as it is for me ... i completed the full 6 hours hotcpu burnin test with no errors! lets wait for your gf2 mx400 and see what happens ...
Uranium235
Senior K6'er

Post by Uranium235 »

Well, the good news is that the MX400 PCI video card works flawlessly on the M583LMR, but the bad news is that the machine is no more stable at the 124 and 133 FSB's. Must be the memory holding me back, or a lame motherboard.
Can you tell me the part number of your RAM? Winbond always had the best RAM available. What are the markings on the memory chips? TIA.
lazy_kalabok

Post by lazy_kalabok »

have a look on these ram modules:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Apacer-SDRAM-2-x-128 ... dZViewItem

i do have exactly the same ones.

sorry for not telling u the exact part number, im not at home for some time now, so u have to be patient a while ...
lazy_kalabok

Post by lazy_kalabok »

ah ...

if someone is intrested in a powercolor p561a board - ebay.com has some cheap of them now ...
kalabok
Senior K6'er

Post by kalabok »

uranium,

i have tried out my new apacer modules on the m583lmr, and, yes, it becomes very ugly.
i got 4 new modules from apacer, all 256mb pc133, one pair identical cl2 with infineon chips and the other cl2 and cl3 with apacer chips.

none of them are working ok together ... if only one is installed, all is working perfectly, but if i upgrade to 512mb, sometimes no boot or craches in windows loading. strange ...

some questions to you guys:

the cl3 and cl2 modules (apacer chips) only differ from their chip description:
cl2: xyz - 7
cl3: xyz - 7 A
what does this A mean? is 7,5 not cl3?

i still keep two 128 mb modules (also apacer) with winbond chips. their are told to support dual channel mode ... how can i find out, if the others do?
Uranium235
Senior K6'er

Post by Uranium235 »

I thought I was the only one with problems here. :o Does your new RAM still have problems even when your not overclocked? Have you tried them with the CAS latency set to 3?
Can you tell us the numbers that are on the memory chips? They may be the key to why you have problems.
Looks like you better hang on to those Winbond sticks.....
kalabok
Senior K6'er

Post by kalabok »

well, uranium,

the problems start with 124mhz fsb. at 100 or 110 the systems seems to work stable - i made the 3dmark 2001 bench with an 475ack at 500mhz and the test worked with no problems. 512mb mb cl2 memory shared 64mb onboard artx video @ 100mhz fsb. ... working stable so far ...

i tried several ram timings - after the bios mod i can change cas latency, ras precharge, ras to cas delay and so on. no boot @ cl3 (or slowest timings) and craches in windows loading @ cl2 (the highest ones) ... lol. it simply does not want to work @ 133mhz.

i will try to find apacer modules with 256mb and winbond chips ... maybe thats the problem.
i will post the chip descriptions soon - ive got no internet @ home :(
kalabok
Senior K6'er

Post by kalabok »

hmm,

finally, i made last tests on the m583lmr, to see if it behaves stable @133 mhz fsb. i tried to solve the well known problem disabling completely the onboard graphic unit, but still no success. i tried to mod the chipset registers in bios, but the device has an amazing wish to survive ... i am very sure, this is the reason for rare bluescreen crashes i get sometimes.
all in all i have to say - its the best chipset for socket7 for me, comparing overall performance for a k6-III+ @ 600mhz.
ok, no agp and perhaps only 2x 128mb sdram acceptance, but 4:27 mins superpi speaks its own language. for cpumark i get 63,2 with no l3 cache at all ...

so, guys, its time to me to say enough. i will move to zurich in september for writing my diploma, no time there for testing k6 rigs anymore. the only thing i wanted at last - the pics ;) of the 400apz and the 400acr, for having them all. (thx @ stedman and mamba)
and i will post the results of my cpu counting project soon.

at the end - success. it was too easy to try. just not disabling the artx vga device, but simply not installing it at all. i am running benchmarks for 8h now, still no strange behavior. the most imprtant for 133mhz operation are the special apacer modules, complete ignorance of artx device and two options in bios to unhide.
project closed.
kalabok
Senior K6'er

Post by kalabok »

one thing that came to my mind.

maybe virtual dual channel operation @ 133 fsb is only functional for single rank modules. uranium and me tried with dual rank 256mb modules, i succeded only with 128mb single rank ones. as this chipset is able to eat 512mb modules, maybe 256 in a single rank organisation will do it ... ?
kalabok
Senior K6'er

Post by kalabok »

ok, freunde der sonne,

i finally decided to get an ali7 socket7 board for my AT case instead of my loved mvp3c2. the only board out there is the pc chips m587lmr. dont know, i love this chipset. allthough not able to install a good video card, but i like rare and exotic stuff.
if someone of you guys have two identical 256mb sigle rank modules and dont need them, let me know.

and - some other stuff concerning cooling. as i am messing arround with a lot of metalls, i prepared some "thermal paste" consisting of Zn, Pb, Bi, In and Cd. the quintenery eutectic melting temperature is 47 degrees, once meltet it builds a great thermal conductor between heatsink and the Al top of the cpu. as i have a loosy heatsink here, the thermal resistance is still high - but about 30% better than without the metall.
DonPedro
K6'er Elite

Post by DonPedro »

kalabok,

where do you get an m587lmr? just in case you find 2 of it let me know!

how did you find about about how your thermal-paste does a 30% better job?
kalabok
Senior K6'er

Post by kalabok »

ebay.com ... 73dollars ... i will try to convince him to get both cheaper.
the shipping to austria shouldnt be that expensive, as i am living in zurich now.

about the thermal paste - just looked on the temp of the cpu (2V @600). without anything i get 40C, with that metall melt 34C.
DonPedro
K6'er Elite

Post by DonPedro »

kalabok,

I really would be glad to get one of these babies .... :)

for comparison, how does a standard commercial thermal paste fare in this setup?

and does the 587lmr also feature an atx-connector or is it at-only?