It's been awhile

Off topic chat and stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere.
mahto
Newbie K6'er

It's been awhile

Post by mahto »

Wow! It's great to find some K6ers still active. I haven't logged in here in years, but my profile is still active (unlike AMDZone). Also grateful to find a few old pages with tweaks/spec's/drivers and bios' still available.

My purpose being I'm building a home 'puter lab for pursuing cert's and have a couple S7 mobos to test as firewalls. They are:
P5A ver 1.04;
VA-503+ ver 1.2a.

And have quite a few K6 chips including 1 each new 2+ and 3+.

So far I've booted the FIC w/live CD (Puppy Linux 3.01) and it works well with one exception: the BIOS won't update. I get the error "unknown flash type", which I know is a common prob, both on POST and in awdflash. After trying all the tricks I remember and following those I could find on the 'net w/o success, I pulled the battery and stashed the FIC under the bench. I'll try it again in a few days.
BTW, the FIC is a fairly complete original box w/PC Power and Cooling PSU and HS/fan, K62/500, etc. I'll post some pics when I can.

Now the P5A is on the bench and waiting for attention. This was my main squeeze K6 mobo before I got an MVP3c-2 (iirc) and maxed out a 3+. I still have my old GF2 GTS and 2x256 Crucial c2 and a bunch of other stuff.

I'm planning to use CF to IDE adapters and 2 or 4G CF and an old Compaq server NIC and have a bunch of other old parts to test from this era.
This is only an exercise as I have a pile of newer hardware that's more appropriate for my ultimate purpose of Linux and maybe Cisco certifications.

Once the exercise is done and everything is tested, I'll probably sell or give away the whole mess. I'll def offer it up here first.

more later,
mahto
"Better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees"
mahto
Newbie K6'er

RE: It

Post by mahto »

Oh yeah, any and all comments will be appreciated except from scepticle wives and 4 year olds, which I have plenty of already.

:roll:
DonPedro
K6'er Elite

Re: It's been awhile

Post by DonPedro »

mahto wrote:I'm planning to use CF to IDE adapters and 2 or 4G CF
I don't understand what you are talking about :(
mahto
Newbie K6'er

Post by mahto »

Hi...sorry. Compact Flash (CF) to IDE adapter to use a 2 or 4 GB CF card instead of a hard drive.
I'm using this one:
http://www.directron.com/syide2cfdu.html

and 133x CF cards.

more later