Socket 7 desktop mainboard and ACPI Suspend to RAM (STR)

Discussion relating to Socket 7 hardware.
computerpartshunter
Newbie K6'er

Socket 7 desktop mainboard and ACPI Suspend to RAM (STR)

Post by computerpartshunter »

Has any vendor ever produced a Socket 7 mainboard with ACPI S3 State (Suspend to RAM or STR) support?
I have read VIA Technologies and SiS chipset data books in the past, and they both claim to support STR in their chipsets, but I have never seen a Socket 7 desktop mainboard to actually support STR.
In fact, very few Socket 370 mainboards support STR for that matter.
I have a few of them (i.e., Intel 815E chipset mainboards from Intel and an ASUS Intel 810E chipset mainboard made specifically for a HP Pavilion desktop PC), and I consider them to be quite rare.
It appears that around the time of Windows XP, Microsoft "demanded" mainboard manufacturers to implement STR, but the last Socket 7 boards came out around 1999/2000 when no one supported STR.
Does anyone have a theory about this issue?
I use STR everyday to save money on my power bill and reduce the noise in my room, so I really care about this feature.

computerpartshunter
James
Junior K6'er

Re: Socket 7 desktop mainboard and ACPI Suspend to RAM (STR)

Post by James »

You could try to update the BIOS of your computer. I updated my FIC VA-503+
computerpartshunter
Newbie K6'er

Post by computerpartshunter »

Hi James,

FIC VA-503+ doesn't support ACPI S3 State.
Of course, no one really supported ACPI S3 State then despite chipset vendors claiming to have hardware level support in them.

computerpartshunter
James wrote:You could try to update the BIOS of your computer. I updated my FIC VA-503+
James
Junior K6'er

Post by James »

Hey there,

Found my old motherboard manual and see that APM is supported. It has different BIOS screen depending if you have AT or ATX power supply. There is no mention of ACPI. During install of Windows XP, I had installer note that system is not-ACPI compliant. Otherwise you will see errors in Event Viewer. I had mentioned this in another post some time ago. Sorry, you are stuck with 90s hardware. Please use as designed.