Mandrake 9

Off topic chat and stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere.
io333
K6'er Elite

Mandrake 9

Post by io333 »

thoughts:<br><br>fast as heck. faster than gentoo 1.3, I think 'cause of gcc3.2. Probably gentoo 1.4 (also gcc3.2) is faster still than Mandrake 9, but I'm so pleased with Man9 that I'm not about to go through that weekend long gentoo install process again anytime soon.<br><br>my printer and my scanner both work perfectly. this is the first time i've ever managed to get the HP2100c scanner to work under any form of linux (it took forever to get it going under windows too.... probably longer than it took me under Mandrake 9.<br><br>I havn't had any crashes or even annoying bugs pop up since install (now 5 days uptime I think).<br><br>mozilla1.1 is just a way better browser than IE6 in so many ways.<br><br>samba is, as usual, a PITA to set up network filesharing.<br><br>i've never managed to set up my printer under linux as a network printer (lexmark z32). <br><br>if i can get the printer to be a network printer, and also get my packard hell remote control to work to run my AV stuff, then Mandrake will be able to do EVERYTHING that WinXP does except run WinMX.... i wonder if winmx runs under wine? <br><br>i'm really beginning to think that the dominance of winXP is almost over. i may be wrong -- but maybe not. <p></p><i></i>