Linux

Off topic chat and stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere.
bronx69
Junior K6'er

Linux

Post by bronx69 »

NeO bLuE<br> im going the Intel road on this one<br>i already got the system running win95 and its slow as hell so their is no way im going to stick with that.<br>i was thinking of also trying windows 3.1 or WIN NT 4<br>not that i have aneything against LINUX but <br>the daim thing is install and i still cant get it to boot up into the gui.<br> <br>At the moment i have<br>2 Intel DX4 100MHZ cpu's and one AMD Am486 DX-2 66 cpu <br>A 3 gig ATA 33 HD,<br>1gig unknow speed, <br>750MB unknown speed,<br>an ata 33 pci card,<br>a 256k L2 cach system,<br>24 mb of ram <br>and three 3com 10/100 ethernet cards.<br><br>now i know back in the days this was a great windows 3.1 system but today its just a snail even at 100 mhz<br>i does the AMD chip have a onboard L1 cache?<br>if so I bet its faster at 66MHZ that the intel's at 100MHZ . hey does aneybody know where i could pick up a dual socket 5 mobo? <p></p><i></i>
io333
K6'er Elite

Post by io333 »

Try a Win98SE minimal install. I've found it to be the fastest of the semi-32 bit OSes. By minimal, I mean go into... oh heck, what was it, hang on I have to boot my win98 machine... ok<br><br>start>programs>accessories>system tools>system information>tools>system configuration utility>startup<br><br><br>and then turn off EVERYTHING except explorer and systray.<br><br>It really should run pretty OK then. <br><br>If you knew what you were doing with linux you could just install only exactly the few things you needed to run, and it would be fastest of all -- I've seen it done. But you probably don't, and neither do I. <br><br>However, the Corel linux distribution is pretty small, and uses an old kernel and would probably run pretty damn well on a 486DX100. Give it a try? It ran VERY well on my P75 with an ancient PIO 850 meg seagate drive, which probably isn't any faster than your setup. However, I O/Ced the P75 to 100Mhz, did a nice clean Win98SE install as described above, and I can hardly tell the difference from my K6-3+@600. <p></p><i></i>
NeO bLuE
Newbie K6'er

Re: Linux

Post by NeO bLuE »

install /nm<br><br>I was thinking of putting win2k on it just for the hell of it, but I need to learn linux and am not about to fuck up my computer <p></p><i></i>
NeO bLuE
Newbie K6'er

Post by NeO bLuE »

install /nm<br><br>I was thinking of putting win2k on it just for the hell of it, but I need to learn linux and am not about to fuck up my computer, oh yeah this baby has 8k L2 on chip!!!!!!!!CYRIX FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!:P <p></p><i></i>
io333
K6'er Elite

Post by io333 »

whoa! If you're think about putting Mandrake 8 on a 486DX, give up now. Mandrake 8 really wants an Athlon, at least! <p></p><i></i>
xroyal
Newbie K6'er

Post by xroyal »

Darn I was hoping to start on Mandrake 8 soon on my K6-3-450. No go? <p></p><i></i>
io333
K6'er Elite

Post by io333 »

oh no, I didn't mean that at all. I have Mandrake 8 running on my K6-3/450@450 and it's darn good. There is ONE problem though in that Mandrake 8 with the 2.04? kernal is stuck at PIO4 for the hard drive 'cause of a conflict with the via chipset so program loading is a bit slow. I wish they'd just go ahead an release Mandrake 8.1 with the latest kernal that's supposed to fix that. Yea, I could go through the trouble of installing the new kernal on my own but I'm lazy and would rather just wait.<br><br>However, to make Mandrake 8 usable on anything, I had to go through many many many many (maybe even 30+) installs until I figured out just exactly how I wanted it set up. I settled on this:<br><br>I installed ONLY the KDE environment, NOTHING else. Then I booted to the KDE desktop and used the software (rpm) manager to slowly add only those packages I needed, as I needed them. This kept bloat down to zero and it's actually quite snappy now. Going with the default install installed WAY TOO MUCH and slowed the machine down to the point of severe annoyance. The default install is like taking every piece of software that 100 people might ever want to use and putting it all in the machine at the same time.<br><br>So go with the default install packages first, figure out what you like, and what you don't, and then reinstall with only the packages you use all the time. Also, be sure to dump Mozilla 0.8 that comes with Mandrake 8 right away, and download Mozilla 0.91 (or whatever is latest stable), it's a VERY GOOD browser.<br><br>What I meant by needs a 1 Gig, is that a 1G Athlon is what it would take to satisfy a power freak that wants everything to happen instantaneously. You're not gonna get that with a k6-3+, at least not yet. Linux has come a LONG way in the last year however, so it seems likely MANY GOOD THINGS are in store! <p></p><i></i>
blue
Site Admin

yeah

Post by blue »

no I already am over that, linux sux I will just put win2k on it and give it to some one, does any one know if ther is a good eisa video card?! and whats up with win NT 4.0? is there any thing good about it I found winNT workstion, winNT SP4 and all kinds other crap in my moms computer box(note thats where I got my 486) there unopen in the cases if someone wants them they can have them! <p>dual athlon 8.2ghz2gigs ddr ramabit hobo I mean mobo1000gig harddrivewindows xp build 9000</p><i></i>
p3 1ghz laptop
geforce2 go
256mb ram
xroyal
Newbie K6'er

Post by xroyal »

io333, Thanks for the detailed response! I'm not a power freak so reduced install will work for me. Tbird probably enters my life late this or next year, as will better versions of Mandrake. As well, I have to revisit the free Enigma browser I installed last year. It's small and quick, tho I have to upgrade to latest version. Noone likes a bully, and Microsoft has done an excellent job of developing that image.<br><br>P.S. Thanks for the job you and the others have done to get this site going and improving! <p></p><i></i>
Cryptokid
K6'er

k

Post by Cryptokid »

you can also turn off systray in the msconfig. its useless feature of windows. <p></p><i></i>
io333
K6'er Elite

Post by io333 »

ok, stupid question of the week:<br><br>Just what the heck IS systray? I always figured it was the little thingy next to the clock where some programs like winamp liked to toss an icon that I could click on to do stuff. So I always leave systray running. Am I wrong? <p></p><i></i>
io333
K6'er Elite

Post by io333 »

OK, I have to ask -- what the heck is an Enigma browser and why would I want one? <p></p><i></i>
xroyal
Newbie K6'er

Post by xroyal »

The Enigma browser is a tiny web browser compared to IE or Netscape. Small (Seems whole install was under 1MB) and fast and free. Far as I can tell it has developed much like Linux. They have an active, friendly forum. I installed it last year and haven't kept up as I should w/updates. I suggested it last year on HWC software forum, and a few senior members liked it right away. Go to enigmabrowser.com and take a look. <br><br>When I got more serious about computing a few years ago, I had a friend pushing the idea of keeping my software as lean and effective as possible. I'm convinced this has made my system more efficient and faster. So while I get ready for the next upgrade, I'm taking a breather to look at combining a streamlined Linux with Enigma for a quicker system. My sister is giving me a spare K6-2-300 system soon, and I hope to o/c 300, and use that as a software learning platform. <br><br>The more Bill Gates shoves bloated "all things to all people" software at us, the more it makes me want a tailored system that does what "I" want. I'm not as tech savy as most of you, but I'm trying to learn a few software tricks to give my hardware a leg up on the future. <p></p><i></i>
io333
K6'er Elite

no go on enigma

Post by io333 »

I tried downloading but it said the archive was corrupt. I'll try again later. <p></p><i></i>