Any ideas?

Discuss software and how to tweak more performance out of your system.
pikarob
K6'er

Any ideas?

Post by pikarob »

I have a 30Gb Hard drive, currently split into 4 partitions.<br>1) 8Gb - Windows XP<br>2) 8Gb - Windows ME<br>3) 8Gb - *Back up*<br>4) 6Gb - *Back up*<br><br>What I want to do is re-install Windows XP, but a clean install. So, at the same time I'm planning to resize my primary partition. To do this I want to reduce the size of partition (2).<br><br>Has anyone tried, or do you know if it is possible to alter partitions without affecting files on the other 2 drives, so I don't lose all my stuff on drives 3 & 4. I can't really back these up anywhere else, coz I have the largest hard drive in m' home, and therefore I have the largest amount of data.<br><br>Any ideas? <p></p><i></i>
Nohr
Nohrmal

Re: Any ideas?

Post by Nohr »

I'd suggest using PartitionMagic. It will let you resize your partitions without destroying your data. I've used it before and it works good. It's a bit on the expensive side though at $70 US. There is a demo, but it won't actually change anything.<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagi ... <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Something I've found recently but haven't tried is The Partition Resizer, a freeware program. It claims to be "the first free program to resize and move partitions without data loss". It will only work on FAT partitions however, so if you're using NTFS for XP you're out of luck.<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://zeleps.com/">zeleps.com/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Hope that's of some help.<br>Nohr. <p></p><i></i>
blue
Site Admin

NO!

Post by blue »

You can kill your winXP by partitioning the primary partition, I did about 6days ago! its no fun. <p></p><i></i>
p3 1ghz laptop
geforce2 go
256mb ram