Open source vs Microsoft...

Off topic chat and stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Mr Toastz
K6'er Elite

Open source vs Microsoft...

Post by Mr Toastz »

I'm sure AZ will add this story on his next rounds, but here's the link in the meantime...<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/ ... <!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>A good read, and I applaud the writer for his suggestion r.e. a framework/standard for open source (this has been there to a degree already, but he expands on the standard). He even has a webpage to help the open source community rally behind this cause.<br><br>Considering that M$ has forced Dell and other companies to again start bundling the M$ OS with their computers (i.e. they have been told they can no longer sell 'OS-free' computers as of 1 September 2002), I am particularly interested in how this effort turns out.<br><br>Note the Peruvian government has officially adopted the 'free OS'. One reason they have done this is so that more of their citizens will be able to own computers (i.e. the additional expense of the M$ license is not a factor). It is fairly easy for us Americans to cough up a few hundred dollars for a new OS (or $99 to upgrade to the latest version). But then we have a strong economy, something a lot of other countries lack. I will be very interested to see how Peru's choice pans out. <p></p><i></i>