Opera 7 final released . . initial thoughts...

Off topic chat and stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere.
His Royal Majesty King V
Veteran K6'er

Opera 7 final released . . initial thoughts...

Post by His Royal Majesty King V »

I just have to say, so far, so good.<br><br>I have a cablemodem, so speed shouldn't have been that relevant for me, but Opera 7 does seem somehow a bit quicker, bit zippier, than even Opera 6.05, which itself was quite fast.<br><br>The download for the install .exe is even a touch smaller.<br><br>Problems with breaking/shearing of pictures (usually photos) while scrolling seems to have been fixed.<br><br>When using mail at Yahoo, I no longer have gigantic, pre-kindergarten size text when the browser is identifying itself as Opera.<br><br>Text sizes and layout seem to be a bit more "correct." I'd noticed in the previous version that sometimes text in one-line text-entry boxes seemed slightly taller than the box itself.<br><br>Certain websites where text appeared not to align correctly, and where I'd get some text overwriting other text in Opera 6.05 . . . well, that no longer happens in Opera 7.<br><br>Basically, all the little quirks seem to have improved.<br><br><br>The ONLY downside I've found is that I can't play <a href="http://www.shockwave.com/sw/content/sin ... inistar</a> from Shockwave's website anymore . . gets javascript errors (and the JavaScript console reports them) when I click on the link to start the game. I uninstalled Opera 6.05 so I can't really compare it, but it worked fine in 6.05. Netscape 4.7x seems to try and start it, but hang.<br><br>Overall though, I give it a thumbs-up. <p>--------------------<br>FIC PA-2013 2.0 E-O036, K6-2+ 450 @ 500 1.9V<br><br>FIC PA-2013 2.0 E-O036, K6-III 450AFX @ 500 2.2V<br><br>Acer Quasi-proprietary Mid-Tower with P-II 266</p><i></i>
FIC PA-2103 E-O036, K6-2+ 450 2.0V @ 500 1.9V
FIC PA-2013 E-O036, K6-III 450 2.2V @ 500
Acer quasi-proprietary Mid-tower, P-II 266
blue
Site Admin

hmmm

Post by blue »

stick with IE <p></p><i></i>
p3 1ghz laptop
geforce2 go
256mb ram
grahamv
Senior K6'er

How "complex" do you find it?

Post by grahamv »

I like the simplicity of Opera 5, but got used to version 6 after I'd disbled most of the options that that the screen more than the "blank page" that I prefer to work with.<br><br>Glancing at the info on the Opera website, my first reaction is to shy away from it because of a whole set of new features that I might just find to be a disbenefit.<br><br>Am I just being too reactionary? What's the feel of the user interface? How easy do you find it to customise the interface to your own personal tastes?<br><br>Good to know that the functionality is markedly improved. I'm encouraged to give it a whirl, but your experiences would be valuable. <p></p><i></i>
His Royal Majesty King V
Veteran K6'er

Re: How "complex" do you find it?

Blue. . . "sticking" with IE would imply that I ever used it regularly in the first place.<br><br>I've already decided I won't use a browser that attempts to convince me that it's a part of the OS.<br><br><br>GrahamV: I think it's pretty simple. The one annoying part was that the Wand (a system to remember your passwords for you at certain sites) required a minor manual editing of a configuration file to disable.<br><br>Other than that one feature, customizing this sucker seems easy, I made most changes that I wanted within 5 minutes.<br><br>There was some experimenting as I tried to figure out which was the Personal Bar vs the Status Bar vs the Navigation bar with the stuff I was disabling and didn't want.<br><br>I don't use a lot of the extra features web-browsers have. Seems about as easy as Opera 6 . . disabled all the stuff I didn't want. Basically the only things I leave up are the navigation buttons (back, next, reload, home, etc), and the address bar where you type the URL.<br><br>Oh, and to the side of the navigation buttons is the line that, when you put the mouse over a link, shows the destination URL. I don't know how that will be moved when the ads kick in in 14 days.<br><br>The rest is the browser window . . I killed that sidebar thing. Just about everything on the browser can be enabled, relocated, or disabled by right-clicking and choosing what to do with it, or by going to the View menu and using that to move or disable the various bars.<br><br>Plus, when you want a lot of screen real-estate, F11 enables/disables full-screen mode (basically whatever page you're viewing takes up the WHOLE screen with nothing else whatsoever visible)<br><br>I used Opera 5, then upgraded to Opera 6.05, but am happier with Opera 7 because of more little glitches fixed.<br><br>Also, Opera 6.05 would on occasion crash. Haven't seen that with Opera 7 yet.<br><br><br>The result of that long-winded description, ultimately, I think it's pretty easy to use and customize, perhaps a little easier than 6.05, and I recommend it.<br><br>Oh, one oddity I've noticed in Opera 7 other than the issue with Shockwave's version of Sinistar is on this message board. When I'm typing a message, the animated emoticons to the right seem to have their animation running quite slow. Don't know why. <p>--------------------<br>FIC PA-2013 2.0 E-O036, K6-2+ 450 @ 500 1.9V<br><br>FIC PA-2013 2.0 E-O036, K6-III 450AFX @ 500 2.2V<br><br>Acer Quasi-proprietary Mid-Tower with P-II 266</p><i></i>
io333
K6'er Elite

Post by io333 »

Every time I try to switch to opera, everything is fine, it's fast as heck (i've never seen a faster browser), but then when i'm actually using the browser to do *work* and have tons of stuff stored in the cache, it bombs and takes my hours of work with it.<br><br><br>IE has done the same thing to me, though less often.<br><br>Weirdness: the most stable browser i've ever used is phoenix 0.5.<br><br>It has the most features.<br><br>But it is the slowest of the lot.<br><br><br>can't have everything I suppose <p></p><i></i>
His Royal Majesty King V
Veteran K6'er

Re: Opera 7 final released . . initial thoughts...

Well, I guess it was inevitable. First, there's now Opera 7.01 to fix some security holes.<br><br>7.0 and 7.01 actually will hang at one or two places, requiring CTRL-ALT-DEL. Not sure what causes it, but the one particular page will ALWAYS make it happen.<br><br>There was a page that made it crash. I shoulda jotted down the URL but I forgot to.<br><br>Still more stable than Opera 6.05 by quite a bit.<br><br>Anyone got space that I can send a screenshot to for storage. I'd like to show grahamv the way I've simplified things and given Opera a minimalist interface. <p>--------------------<br>FIC PA-2013 2.0 E-O036, K6-2+ 450 @ 500 1.9V<br><br>FIC PA-2013 2.0 E-O036, K6-III 450AFX @ 500 2.2V<br><br>Acer Quasi-proprietary Mid-Tower with P-II 266</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub70.ezboard.com/bk6plus67153.s ... ykingv>His Royal Majesty King V</A> at: 2/6/03 12:51:02 am<br></i>