Windows start button and others not working correctly

Discussion relating to Socket 7 hardware.
KHPower
Junior K6'er

Windows start button and others not working correctly

Post by KHPower »

Hi everyone,

ThIs is in regard to my Presario laptop with the 500+ mhz k6-2+. I just installed another fresh copy of Xp pro with all the updates and everything is working like a dream , however after I turn on my computer and get to the desktop my start button is not functioning. Its almost like it is disabled. The only way to get it to work is to open task manager and then close task manager(without changing any settings) just open and close it , then it works. But , the start button isnt the only thing that does this , desktop properties and others also do this. The only things that will click and process are the items on the destop like , IE , my computer ext , but , even when I click on properties on the desktop it acts like everything is disabled and I cant even close it unless I open Task Manager and then close task manager

Any ideas from my K6 friends :wink: I really dont want to have to do a repair install :(
DonPedro
K6'er Elite

Post by DonPedro »

I think you either got a virus infection or some add-on program goes beserk. is your av up and running?
have you tried to start in safe mode? what happens there?
KHPower
Junior K6'er

Post by KHPower »

I dont think I would have a virus , Its a fresh formatted drive. and it started right away after the fresh install
I dont have a anti virus yet , but I do have windows defender and it finds nothing. I will try and boot in safemode and post the results.

At first I thought it might be because I a usb hub running a wireless keyboard and mouse combo , but it still does the same even if I unplug them .
I am so bothered by this , out of all the installs , this one is running so well(except the problem :(

I will post and ley ya know
Thanks
KHPower
Junior K6'er

Post by KHPower »

Anymore info , can I do a hijack for you guys to help me figure this out and if so how do I do a hijack?

Thanks 8)
DonPedro
K6'er Elite

Post by DonPedro »

khpower,

I searched your problem on the internet and I found pages where the symptoms you describe are virus-related. that is why I suggest you to go and get some additional free antivirus prog like avg.

bitdefender? how long are they in av-business?

first try to get sure that there is really no virus on your computer activ. because as long as the this thing works in the background, any change to cure explorer.exe would be of short life span.

second: get the tool WfpAdmin from the internet. you will need it to deactivate system file protection, because you are going to change the file explorer.exe (as follows)

third: get a copy of a working explorer.exe from another system (same os as yours) via email or via usb-stick.

fourth: run WfpAdmin to deactivate windows file protection

fifth: start your os in secure mode. to be able to reverse what you are about to do rename 2 instances of explorer.exe to explore.bak or so. you will find them in the os' homedirectory (or system or system32 directory) and also in the dllcache-directory.

sixth: copy your new explorer.exe file to both locations where you found the old ones.

restart.

I am not responsible to any damage that might arise from carrying out my recipe! :)
DonPedro
K6'er Elite

Post by DonPedro »

just saw that you were online and present here in the forum while I already had posted but then worked over (edited) my post. so you probably are not aware of the changes to what I have written finally because you only read the first version. this post will trigger a new mail to you that new info is available. thanks
KHPower
Junior K6'er

Post by KHPower »

Woah! Thats sounds a little difficult , I willl have to try it though

In the mean time I installed AVG and it came up with nothing , I dont have any viruses and this is puzzling me. Its not a hugwe deal , but after each startup having to open and close task manger is annoying
KHPower
Junior K6'er

Post by KHPower »

*Update*

Well I think i found out why these things were happening or fo some reason they stopped.

I installed AVG and it found nothing

:? I then figured it might be my Plextor wireless keyboard and mouse combo. I took the batteries out of the mouse and replaced the mouse with a Microsoft laptop mouse and now everything is working the way its suppose to :D

I think sometimes this wireless stuff messes up things , for instance I had a Microsoft wireless mouse installed on my Vista machine and the computer never went to sreensaver or anything. i think its the constant pinging back and forth that keeps the computer awake.

I have no idea why this did this to my computer but I am glad its fixed.

If anyone knows why , please explain :wink: