doozy problem here

Discussion relating to Socket 7 hardware.
Niatross
Newbie K6'er

doozy problem here

Post by Niatross »

I have an Asus P5A-B w/K6III+ 550@630. Until recentlyit was sporting an old Matrox G400 MAX. I'm getting ready to build a new system and purchased an Abit Siluro GeForce4 4200. seeing as this card can handle both the 3.3 volt and the 1.5 volt I decided to pop it into the old machine and give her a whirl. Well things went halfway well. I say halfway because things work great in the Win 98 part of my dual boot machine but Win Xp refuses to play nice. Every time I boot the machine into Win XP the card shows up with an exclamation mark in device manager and the Geforce tab is absent in display properties under advanced settings. If I then reload the drivers ( and believe me I've tried all the Det versions) the exclamation mark disappears and I get the GeForce tab in Display properties(only after resetting the display settings to anything but the 640X480, 8 bit??? color that display propeties is showing) Mind you it's showing that but that's not what it's displaying. you can tell just looking that it's actually the 1024X768, 32 bit that I usually use. Ok I digress, so after changing it to so that the numbers are right with the actual settings, the Geforce tab shows up. BUT in dxdiag I have no AGP Acceleration, says it's disabled. I can play Direct X games but Open GL is a no go, something about a problem with nvoglnt.dll ( the opengl dll in Nvidia drivers) Keep in mind that in Win 98 I have none of these problems. Ok so after a few fruitless weeks of trying to figure this out I decided to reinstall the Matrox card. Hell it was slow but it worked with no problems. Guess what, now it does the exact same thing. Except I can now play OpenGl games with it installed but everything else is just like the Geforce card was doing. Don't tell me about drivers, I've uninstalled and reinstalled, did it in safe mode and not in safe mode, went through the registry and system32 and made sure all traces of old drivers were gone, made sure antivirus wasn't running, all for naught. Let me guess what your going to say. Reinstall Win Xp? I thought you'd say that ;-) No that is the one thing I haven't done. Thanks for letting me vent, if anyone has any ideas, sing out <p></p><i></i>