Nvidia Forceware 6x.xx drivers crashes on K6 cpu's?

Discuss software and how to tweak more performance out of your system.
Sandells
K6'er

Nvidia Forceware 6x.xx drivers crashes on K6 cpu's?

Post by Sandells »

Hey K6'ers,

After trying most of the FW 6x.xx series drivers on Win 98SE/Win XP Pro, they all seem to lock up on my GF4 4800SE. Using drivers 53.81 and lower run with no problems.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with the K6 cpu's?

Thanks,

Steve
punkrawker82
Senior K6'er

Post by punkrawker82 »

I've been using 56.64 drivers for months now with no crashing at all. Infact its running my games even better than before. The only thing I noticed is it takes a bit longer to get into the Nvidia properties, but I guess with an aging comp and Nvidia's bloated drivers that should be expected. I haven't tried 6x.xx drivers yet, but drivers above 53.81 can work for me. Have you tried a clean reinstall of everything with your new drivers?? :D
Past System
----------
Asus P5A-B rev1.05(Beta BIOS 1011.005)
AMD K6-2/CXT AFX @ 500Mhz(CPUCool 5 x 100)
128Mb PC100 SDRAM
VisionTek GeForce 4 MX 440 4x AGP @2x w/ 64Mb DDR
Creative Ensoniq PCI Sound Card
ADS Turbo Quad 4 Port USB PCI Card
Linksys NC100 v2 NIC
Western Digital 8Mb Cache SE 80Gb HD
Lite-On 52x32x52 CDR/RW
Lite-On 16x48 DVD

Current
----------
Athlon XP-A(Barton) 2600+ @ 1.91Ghz
Abit NF7-S v2.0
512Mb Kingston 3200 DDR(2.5-3-3-7)
VisionTek GeForce 4 MX 440 4x AGP w/ 64Mb DDR
Wiggy
Senior K6'er

Post by Wiggy »

A 4800se is based on a Ti4400/Ti4600, so I wouldn't really bother using such a new driver.

IMO of course. :wink:
SOLTEK rocks!
Sandells
K6'er

Post by Sandells »

Thanks for the replies guys.

However, trying the 56.64 FW drivers in XP resulted in the same crash. I get a blue screen saying the problem is with nv4_disp.dll the same as FW 6x.xx. This is on a clean install too.

I have discovered that OpenGL works but very slowly, about 1 frame every 30 seconds.

I am using a VIA MVP3 chipset whereas punkrawker82 is using an Ali Aladdin V.

The reason that I want to use newer drivers is that I get better performance in 2d for video playback. With 53.81 and older, 2d performance is slower which means jerky playback.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks,

Steve
cake
Bios Fryer

Post by cake »

Have you tried reinstalling the AGP miniport driver?

I used to have similar probs with my Radeon 8500 on an ALi V board,
seems somewhere in the process Windows lost the AGP driver..
Reinstalled it and everything's been working since.
XP-M 2400+ @ 10x220, Epox 8RDA3+
512 MB PC3200 KingMax
15 GB Quantum Fireball LCT + 60 GB Seagate Barracuda IV
Radeon 8500LE
Wiggy
Senior K6'er

Post by Wiggy »

Huh, I didn't realise 2D performance still increased wih the newer driver versions.
SOLTEK rocks!
Sandells
K6'er

Post by Sandells »

Cake,

I tried installing the Via AGP Filter driver. but it made no difference whatsoever.

Wiggy,

For me 56.64 and newer has better 2d performance than 53.81 and older on my system. Just a shame I can't use them.

Steve
Sandells
K6'er

Post by Sandells »

Update to the Forceware 56.xx and newer drivers problem,

I have found that if I run the drivers in PCI mode, OpenGL games work but a little bit slower than in AGP 2x mode with the 53.81 Forceware drivers. Direct3D games still lockup in fullscreen mode but rolling back to the 53.81 drivers solve this problem.

So it looks like NVidia have removed or screwed up the AGP code in their newer drivers for the VIA MVP3 mboards. I havent tried the newer drivers on an Ali Aladdin V mboard, which seem to work according to punkrawker82.

Can anyone else try the Forceware 56.xx and newer drivers on a VIA MVP3 chipset with a Geforce graphics card, and see if they experiience the same issue as I do?

Thanks,

Steve
Wiggy
Senior K6'er

Post by Wiggy »

Have you tried some of the older Omega drivers for your card. They're based on NVidia drivers but usually include many bug fixes and optimisations.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Note: The older versions are in the Quick Menu on the left.
SOLTEK rocks!
georgep1
Veteran K6'er

Post by georgep1 »

Sandells wrote:Update to the Forceware 56.xx and newer drivers problem,

I have found that if I run the drivers in PCI mode, OpenGL games work but a little bit slower than in AGP 2x mode with the 53.81 Forceware drivers. Direct3D games still lockup in fullscreen mode but rolling back to the 53.81 drivers solve this problem.

So it looks like NVidia have removed or screwed up the AGP code in their newer drivers for the VIA MVP3 mboards. I havent tried the newer drivers on an Ali Aladdin V mboard, which seem to work according to punkrawker82.

Can anyone else try the Forceware 56.xx and newer drivers on a VIA MVP3 chipset with a Geforce graphics card, and see if they experiience the same issue as I do?

Thanks,

Steve
I have not had the same problem, but performance is DISMAL with any of these newer drivers on my system.
E-Machines T6000 (AMD64 3200+) (Don't laugh! It absolutely rocks!)
GigaByte K7N400 Pro2, 3200+, 1 GB DDR, 80 GB WD SE
Epox MVPG5, K6-III+@550, 384 SDRAM, 80 GB WD SE
TX97-XE, K6-III+@400, 256 SDRAM, 40 GB WD HD
Sandells
K6'er

Post by Sandells »

Hey guys,

I have put together another SS7 system with the Geforce 5700U on a Gigabyte GA-5AA Rev 3.2 with a K6-2+@450MHz, 512MB PC133 RAM, SBLive Value Sound Card, Realtek RTL8139 Network Card, an IBM 40GB Hard drive and Teac 32x CD-Rom Drive.

I have loaded XP Pro slipstreamed with SP2. and used the 66.31 drivers to test with. The resullt is that Direct3D works on the Ali chipset with no problems, but OpenGL is still painfully slow. One thing I have noticed (I think, can't remember now) is that if I remove the Network Card and SBLive, OpenGL performance goes back up.

The Epox G5 system has virtually the same setup, but with an ISA SBAWE64, PCI Raid card running 2x 40GB Maxtor Hard drives, an Ali based USB2.0 6 port USB PCI card, Realtek RTL8139 Network Card, GF4 4800, USB Creative Webcam on the USB 1.1 ports, WinTV USB FM and Canon scanner on the USB 2.0 ports plus a Lite-On DVD-ROM Drive, Philips CDRW Drive and Lite-On DVD -/+ 8x RW Drive on the motherboard IDE ports.

I'm thinking if I removed the SBAWE64 and Realtek network card from my Epox G5 system, the lockups would go away? Since the 2 PC's have the same manufactured Network and Sound cards.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Steve

Post by Guest »

maybe the pci-performance patch can help?
http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/

hope you read it... i'm also interessted in the result....
Sandells wrote:Hey guys,

I have put together another SS7 system with the Geforce 5700U on a Gigabyte GA-5AA Rev 3.2 with a K6-2+@450MHz, 512MB PC133 RAM, SBLive Value Sound Card, Realtek RTL8139 Network Card, an IBM 40GB Hard drive and Teac 32x CD-Rom Drive.

I have loaded XP Pro slipstreamed with SP2. and used the 66.31 drivers to test with. The resullt is that Direct3D works on the Ali chipset with no problems, but OpenGL is still painfully slow. One thing I have noticed (I think, can't remember now) is that if I remove the Network Card and SBLive, OpenGL performance goes back up.

The Epox G5 system has virtually the same setup, but with an ISA SBAWE64, PCI Raid card running 2x 40GB Maxtor Hard drives, an Ali based USB2.0 6 port USB PCI card, Realtek RTL8139 Network Card, GF4 4800, USB Creative Webcam on the USB 1.1 ports, WinTV USB FM and Canon scanner on the USB 2.0 ports plus a Lite-On DVD-ROM Drive, Philips CDRW Drive and Lite-On DVD -/+ 8x RW Drive on the motherboard IDE ports.

I'm thinking if I removed the SBAWE64 and Realtek network card from my Epox G5 system, the lockups would go away? Since the 2 PC's have the same manufactured Network and Sound cards.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Steve

Post by Guest »

sorry... you got an ali system... :/
Anonymous wrote:maybe the pci-performance patch can help?
http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/

hope you read it... i'm also interessted in the result....
Sandells wrote:Hey guys,

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Steve
Sandells
K6'er

Post by Sandells »

Hi guest.

Thanks for your replies. At the moment I have put my ATI Radeon 9700 back in the Epox G5 Motherboard along with a SB Audigy 2 Value. The Gigabyte GA-5AA now has the GF4 Ti4800. I've tried the 7x.xx series of drivers, but even these cause a memory crash in the NV4_DISP.DLL file. I'm thinking that NVIDIA has changed where the NV4_DISP.DLL reads and writes to the memory location BFxxxxxx. I have checked if anythiing else uses this are of memory, but there is nothing that uses it. It's a mystery unlerss someone can think of a way to solve this issue.

Thanks,

Steve

Post by Guest »

perhaps playing with this helps...
http://kde.planetmirror.com/pub/3dfiles ... GPTool.zip

got some time ago an similar problem but with via mvp3... the solution was
to install a rather old version of 4-1drivers... after newer version xx.xx agp never runs for me as it should...
Sandells wrote:Hi guest.

Thanks for your replies. At the moment I have put my ATI Radeon 9700 back in the Epox G5 Motherboard along with a SB Audigy 2 Value. The Gigabyte GA-5AA now has the GF4 Ti4800. I've tried the 7x.xx series of drivers, but even these cause a memory crash in the NV4_DISP.DLL file. I'm thinking that NVIDIA has changed where the NV4_DISP.DLL reads and writes to the memory location BFxxxxxx. I have checked if anythiing else uses this are of memory, but there is nothing that uses it. It's a mystery unlerss someone can think of a way to solve this issue.

Thanks,

Steve